Corsair Community

Hi I am currently planning a new build and I am at a crossroad and wanted some advice whether to get an additional 970 or upgrade to a 980. These are the components of the planned new build

MoBo - ASUS 970FX Pro Gaming Aura

CPU - AMD FX 9590 4.7 GHz

RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 MHz

CPU Cooler - 280mm H115i Rad

PSU - Corsair HX850i (850w)

Monitor - Samsung 22'' LED PLS HDMI Monitor

Graphics - Asus Turbo GTX 970 OC 4GB GDDR5

The monitor and graphics card I already own

In regards to the monitor I couldn't find anything about the refresh rate but the Samsung website stated this, Response Time: 4 (GtG)

So just wanted to know if its waste upgrading the graphics card or going SLI

Thanks In Advance

:laughing:Leon:laughing:

I would agree and wait on Pascal if you can. We don't have a firm release date, but the I would expect Maxwell prices to drop a little more as it approaches.

As to the question at hand, both 970x2 and 980Ti are in a different class than a single 980. Between the 970x2 and 980Ti, the Ti has a needed increase in VRAM. That 3.5GB cap on the 970's is very real and at 1440p you will hit it on high textures and ultra textures are mostly out unless you can live with choppy frame rates. It provides a very nice experience at 1440, but completely maxing out current games is just out of reach. The one advantage 970x2 has over a Ti is temperatures. My ACX style 970s don't run above 65C, even on the heaviest AAA games running above 1400+ MHz. The Ti is a very warm card that produces lots of waste heat. This can be an issue for smaller cases or one with poor airflow.

However, at 1080p with 970x2 you can run 100+ FPS completely maxed. This is how I started on this rig before deciding to move up a monitor size. Since you already have the 970, another one would be the least expensive choice with the most gain. At 1080, the VRAM cap should be a non-issue except on the most heavily modded texture games. So I suppose you should make the choice with future monitor plans in mind. If you stay at 1080, the Ti is overkill. The 970x2 is too, but it will allow you to max everything for the least cost.

I would agree and wait on Pascal if you can. We don't have a firm release date, but the I would expect Maxwell prices to drop a little more as it approaches.

As to the question at hand, both 970x2 and 980Ti are in a different class than a single 980. Between the 970x2 and 980Ti, the Ti has a needed increase in VRAM. That 3.5GB cap on the 970's is very real and at 1440p you will hit it on high textures and ultra textures are mostly out unless you can live with choppy frame rates. It provides a very nice experience at 1440, but completely maxing out current games is just out of reach. The one advantage 970x2 has over a Ti is temperatures. My ACX style 970s don't run above 65C, even on the heaviest AAA games running above 1400+ MHz. The Ti is a very warm card that produces lots of waste heat. This can be an issue for smaller cases or one with poor airflow.

However, at 1080p with 970x2 you can run 100+ FPS completely maxed. This is how I started on this rig before deciding to move up a monitor size. Since you already have the 970, another one would be the least expensive choice with the most gain. At 1080, the VRAM cap should be a non-issue except on the most heavily modded texture games. So I suppose you should make the choice with future monitor plans in mind. If you stay at 1080, the Ti is overkill. The 970x2 is too, but it will allow you to max everything for the least cost.

The 980Ti doesn't break a sweat either. I have a Gigabyte 980Ti G1 OC and have further overclocked it to 1450 on the GPU (didn't bother the VRAM clocks) and at full load it barely hits 60c with fans running 40%.

Archived