Corsair Community

Requiring a descriptive and detailed connection guide for Commander Mini

Pan_Melas

Good day to all

Following the advice of our engineer red-ray in another thread of mine, who stated that:

I have both a H100i + H80 connected via a CL Mini with both working fine.

I tried to find two Commander Mini units (one purchased from Amazon - quite expensive, I should say - and the other purchased from http://www.alternate.de, where I managed to become a member, in contrast to http://www.alternate.co.uk, that could not accept my memebrship).

I intend to use both of them, one with a Hydro H100i v2 CPU Cooler and the other with the older Hydro H80 CPU Cooler.

The first will be used for cooling an Intel Xeon X5492 CPU (Harpertown Family Series), on an Asus P5QC[/b] Motherboard (having been modified, to accept the Xeon on its s.775). It seems that connections are more straightforward there, while there may still be some minor questions.

The second will be used on an Intel i7-6700k CPU (Skylake Family Series), sitting on an Asus Z170 Pro Motherboard. Now, this seems to be a little more complicated and tricky, perhaps because the Quick Start Guides (QSG) of both CPU coolers and the Commander Mini itself are not very informative or, at least, straightforward ones for the average user.

Items, that need to be clarified, are the following:

• In the Commander Mini QSG is noted:
    "...To connect to a Corsair PSU with Corsair Link Digital capabilities (I Series) use the cable supplied with the power supply to connect to the ports on the Commander Mini."
    As I understand it, this means that the user should have an AXi or HXi Series PSU, to fully utilize this capability of the C.M. If such a PSU is not available this capability is of NO USE at all.
    Am I correct on this or not?
    (In my case, there will be a Corsair
HX1050 80 Plus Gold (EU Plug) PSU, as already mentioned elsewhere, in this community)

• The Hydro H80 Cooler has one 4-pin Digital Port, at one side. As noted in the QSG "The Corsair Commander Mini has 4 Corsair Link Digital ports that are for connecting to other Corsair Link Digital hardware". The provided cable has plugs at its both ends, that are to be connected to ports, like those on the Commander Mini. The existing Digital Port on the H80 seems to be of the same shape and configuration. I suppose that, in order to connect the Commander Mini to H80, I have to use this cable and the digital ports on both units. Am I right or not?

• The H80 has also two 4-pin bigger connectors on its other side. I assume that one of them is for the embedded water pump.
    What is the purpose of the other?
    Are they both for the water pump?
    Should I connect both of them?
    If yes, can I use the Commander Mini Fan Connectors for them?

Alternatively, the motherboard provides a multiple connection solution for fans and water cooling. It has five 4-pin FAN Connectors and one 5-pin, which actually are:
    - CPU FAN (1)
    - CPU FAN OPTIONAL (2)
    - CHASSIS FAN (1)
    - CHASSIS FAN (2)
    - WATER PUMP
    - EXTERNAL FAN (5-pin)
    What happens, if I connect the H80 on two of these connectors, e.g. the WATER PUMP and the CPU FAN or the CPU FAN OPTIONAL?

• Also, the H80 radiator is provided by two 120mm fans. Should I connect these fans on the Commander Mini Fan Connectors, as well?
    Or, I have to connect them on the motherboard FAN connectors, or even directly on the PSU?

• My Asus Z170 Pro Motherbooard has only two USB 2.0 9-pin headers. One of them will certainly be used to connect the motherboard with the computer case front I/O panel (USB ports). In this case, it remains only one to be used for the Commander Mini. This will limit the availability of USB 2.0 ports only to those at the computer case front I/O panel (two only) plus the other two, that are located at the rear (back) of the motherboard. I need to find a solution for this, anyhow.

Your input will be appreciated.

-

• The H80 has also two 4-pin bigger connectors on its other side. I assume that one of them is for the embedded water pump.

These are for two H80 cooling fans.

For USB connection options see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=842123

These are for two H80 cooling fans.

For USB connection options see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=842123

Thank you, red-ray, for this very useful information.

The next question comes automatically:

If these are for the radiator cooling fans, I assume that the H80 gets its power from the 2-pin Molex connector and/or from the Fan-type 3-pin mini connector, albeit the latter has only one cable on it.

Therefore, in order to power the H80, should I have to use both above connectors simultaneously?

If yes, where is the Commander Mini connected on the H80, other than its digital connection?

Consequently, what do I have to do with the radiator fans? Should these be connected on the H80, as intended, or is it better to connect them on the Commander Mini Fan connectors? Or, perhaps, it is irrelevant where these fans are connected?

Please, forgive me for so many questions, but I feel that these matters have to be fully clarified.

Thanks again.

-

If these are for the radiator cooling fans, I assume that the H80 gets its power from the 2-pin Molex connector and/or from the Fan-type 3-pin mini connector, albeit the latter has only one cable on it.

1. The H80 gets it's power from the Molex. This is used to power the controller, pump and 2 x fans.
  2. The CL Mini get's it's power the a SATA power connector.
  3. Fan connections never provide power.
  4. The C-Link cable does not provide power.

1. The H80 gets it's power from the Molex. This is used to power the controller, pump and 2 x fans.
  2. The CL Mini get's it's power the a SATA power connector.
  3. Fan connections never provide power.
  4. The C-Link cable does not provide power.

Thanks again.

I understand what you wrote. Completely!

However, there are still some "blurry" points:

- What is the role of the small, 3-pin fan-type cable, with one cable on it only on the H80? Does this participate in powering it or not? And if NOT, what do I have to do with it? Just forget it?

- If the fan connections of the CL Mini do not provide power, what is the meaning of the following sentences, written in the QSG of the Mini:

"Connect any fans you wish to control to the four pin headers labeled “Fans 1-6”. The included fan extension cables can be used if necessary."?

-

1. What is the role of the small, 3-pin fan-type cable, with one cable on it only on the H80? Does this participate in powering it or not? And if NOT, what do I have to do with it? Just forget it?
  2. If the fan connections of the CL Mini do not provide power, what is the meaning of the following sentences, written in the QSG of the Mini:
    "Connect any fans you wish to control to the four pin headers labeled “Fans 1-6”. The included fan extension cables can be used if necessary."?

1. This is the pump speed tachometer signal. Connect it to the CPU_FAN header so the MB BIOS known the "CPU Fan" is working.
  2. The CL Mini provides power to the fans.

1. This is the pump speed tachometer signal. Connect it to the CPU_FAN header so the MB BIOS known the "CPU Fan" is working.
  2. The CL Mini provides power to the fans.

Thanks, mate!

This all I needed to know. I feel that all my questions have now been answered. :biggrin:

P.S.:

I may return with more questions about the connections of the H100i v2 cooler, but right now it seems that I am covered.

Archived