Corsair Community

H105 vs H115i Heat Dissipation

evilrad

I cannot seem to find any info on how much heat the H105 and the H115i can dissipate. I currently have a Intel i7 2600K overclocked (HT is enabled) to 4.8Ghz with 1.43 volts on a custom loop. I'll be building a new system soon and want to give this current build to my brother-in-law (minus the custom loop). I was looking at either the H105 or H115i as a replacement, but since I don't know how much heat either of these two AIOs can dissipate, I'm unsure.

So will either of these two units handle the heat that my overclocked 2600K currently outputs?

You rarely see products any more with a heat dissipation in terms of wattage. However, you might be able to get a clearer picture by working the problem the other way. How many watts does your CPU use at full throttle? Lots of H110 and H105 users out there who may be able to share numbers to give you a comparison.

I have room to spare on my H110 with a 5820k at 4.5/1.30v and the cache at 4.0. I'll need to double check the wattage later, but I would be a little surprised if you draw more than that CPU. I suspect either the H105 or H110/115 series will do the job.

AI Suite reports the CPU draw as 195-205W at the above settings while at 100%. My wall meter reports 285-295W, compared the normal baseline of 105-110W at stepped down idle. That should give some rough comparative numbers, with peak core temps ranging from 65-74C at 22C ambient. In theory, the newer H110i/H115i with faster flow rates and higher turning fans offer more potential energy dissipation.

Thanks for the info c-attack. Based on this formula I found online for calculating overclocked wattage:

OC Wattage = TDP * ( OC MHz / Stock MHz) * ( OC Vcore / Stock Vcore )^2

OC Wattage = 95 * ( 4800 / 3800) * ( 1.43 / 1.22 )^2

I'm looking at +- 164 watts (I don't remember what my exact stock Vcore is for this chip) at full load.

So based on your results, I should be good then with the H115i. Thanks again for the info.

Using that formula gives me a 264W figure and it seems like a reasonable predictor. I suspect my true number lies in between the simplistic, self-serving AI Suite number and the wall reading which would also include idle GPU usage, 6 fans (which I could subtract out), 3 idle SSD's + 1 active, and any other power usage (board lights, etc). In fact, the 264W number might be pretty close. I suspect the H105 could also do the job for you with room to spare, if you preferred a 240 option or a non-software system. I suppose your case may have the finally say on 280mm vs 63mm thick radiators.

I plan on getting the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M to house the system in. I believe it can fit either the H105 or the H115i, but I'll have to check the exact dimensions before I choose. I figure the 140mm fans would be quieter than the 120mm ones and the price difference between the two is negligible.

Archived