Corsair Community

HX1200i and Braided Cables Question

Bigbrother

I still cannot decide between AX1200i and the HX1200i... I don't need to control the amperage of the 12v rails so AX1200i seems too much. I just need a 1200w PSU since I have 3 R9 290's.

But the HX1200i has only 4 PCIe cables vs the 6 PCIe cables of the AX1200i... I would like to use individual cables to power the R9 290's rather than daisy chained cables. I cannot understand why a 1200w PSU would only come with 4 PCIe cables... Really shocking in my opinion... So I decided to buy the CP-8920007 part number cables which are blue... this will give me blue cables and I can add a black cable to power the third R9 290 (although in daisy chained format). However I cannot find out anywhere if the CP-8920007 part numbered cables is compatible with HX1200i...

Any takers?

Alternatively I could ask whether the HX1200i's daisy chained PCIe cables would be fit to power an R9 290? Since the R9 290 needs around 275w of power, would 1x 8pin and 1x 6pin daisy chained cable of the HX1200i be able to power the R9 290? I will have 3 of the in crossfire... currently the OCZ 1000w I have can power them but I use single cables for each socket not daisy chained ones...

I need assistance please...

Its quite interesting how such a high rated PSU as the HX1200i can come with ONLY 4x PCIe cables... I have not seen anything less than 6x cables in competitors PSU's.

I dont know who can answer my question?... I dont want to buy a product that is not over priced as the AX1200i which has functions I do not need, but I want to buy a Corsair since I trust the brand. However the 4x PCIe cables on the HX1200i is a very bad limitation. I do not know if it will provide enough power to 3x R9 290's especially with daisy chained cables. Most people do not use daisy chained cables with crossfire...

Any help on this issue would be appreciated...

As said it is ok unless you do some extreme overclocks

Thanks for the answer. The cards I am using are already overclocked from the box by around 100mhz...

Who can provide me with the information that with one single PCIe cable, the PSU can provide 275-300w (23-25amps) of power to the card? I dont want to have to buy it and then return it later on...

Take two.......

Who can provide me with the information that with one single daisy chained PCIe cable, the HX1200i can provide 275-300w (23-25amps) of power to the R9 290? I dont want to have to buy the HX1200i only to return it later on...

Archived