Corsair Community

Thought the noise on my H60 was normal!!!

theconejo

Product: CWCH60 - Corsair Hydro Series H60 cooler

Purchased: 04/11/2012

First post as I didn't know this was a issue until today. My wife has been bugging me about the noise my computer makes, as if I had a old hard drive moving files constantly. I knew this noise had been there but I learned to deal with it. I used a proud owner of a VW golf and those have more peculiar noises than my computer, I'm used to dealing with random noises.

That search brought me here and apparently this was a common problem and people were RMA'ing their units and that the issue might have been fixed in newer versions! I had no idea!!!

I began looking through some of the posts from 2011-2012 as those would deal with this particular version. I've only tried a few different things to see if I can get the noise to go away but nothing really helped, except having the computer on its side.

I tightened the screws that hold the unit on my cpu.

I've tapped on the pump, I've tapped the lines from pump to rad.

I've cleaned out the rad of dust.

I haven't messed with the speed of the pump. I was try hooking it up to a different 3 pin connector that I can dial back a little but wanted to just post on here first to see what my options are. Mind you I understand my unit is almost 4 years old now but I've had this noise since day 1 and the warranty is 5 years so I should be alright trying to get a replacement?

Product: CWCH60 - Corsair Hydro Series H60 cooler

Purchased: 04/11/2012

First post as I didn't know this was a issue until today. My wife has been bugging me about the noise my computer makes, as if I had a old hard drive moving files constantly. I knew this noise had been there but I learned to deal with it. I used a proud owner of a VW golf and those have more peculiar noises than my computer, I'm used to dealing with random noises.

That search brought me here and apparently this was a common problem and people were RMA'ing their units and that the issue might have been fixed in newer versions! I had no idea!!!

I began looking through some of the posts from 2011-2012 as those would deal with this particular version. I've only tried a few different things to see if I can get the noise to go away but nothing really helped, except having the computer on its side.

I tightened the screws that hold the unit on my cpu.

I've tapped on the pump, I've tapped the lines from pump to rad.

I've cleaned out the rad of dust.

I haven't messed with the speed of the pump. I was try hooking it up to a different 3 pin connector that I can dial back a little but wanted to just post on here first to see what my options are. Mind you I understand my unit is almost 4 years old now but I've had this noise since day 1 and the warranty is 5 years so I should be alright trying to get a replacement?

As long as it's still under warranty then there should be no problem getting a replacement

I didn't wait quite as long as you did but I waited over a year after I got a defective H80i and Corsair happily agreed to replace it (it made grinding noises sometimes when the pump started up)

According to the Warranty page, these are the basic requirements listed that would make you not eligible for an RMA

Wear and tear associated with normal use

Any modification, abuse, accident, disassembly, misapplication, or unauthorized repair

Removal of any manufacturer label(s) or sticker(s)

Any improper operation, including any use not in accordance with any supplied product instructions

Connection to any improper voltage supply

Use of consumables, such as replacement batteries, not supplied by Corsair, except where such restriction is prohibited by applicable local law

Any other cause which does not relate to a product defect in materials or workmanship

But ummmmm, yeah...

Start the RMA process. It shouldn't be an issue if you have the purchase invoice. The ticking is a tell-tale sign all is not right with the pump. Cutting voltage can temporarily work, but ultimately is futile. You wear the pump out faster and the noise will follow you down the voltage scale.

Archived