Corsair Community

H100i GTX bracket washers?

Smeve

It appears that I'm one of the unfortunate few who have the issue of a too-loose bracket causing excessively high temperatures (90c in Prime95!) Idle temperature starts at about 30 and creeps its way up to 40 as the system warms up, and will hit around 70 under normal load (browsing, streaming music/twitch.)

http://imgur.com/cB3P454

My real question is, what sort of washers have people successfully used to fix the problem? Everyone just says that they put some on and temperatures went down, but I haven't found any specifics. I could likely take the bracket to the hardware store and wing it, but I much prefer to get solid advice from people with more experience so I don't ruin my components.

My relevant pc info:

i7-2600K

Asus p8z68-v pro/gen3

It doesn't matter too much as long as they are non-conductive. Your basic rubber or silicon washer should do. The proper thickness will be the trick. However, make sure this is really the issue. If you push down on the pump block (lightly) do CPU temperatures drop? If yes, then washers may help.

When you are up at 70C on the cores while browsing, what is the water temperature in the H100 GTX box? If it stays in the low to mid 30's, it likely is a contact issue and the washers may help. If the water temperature dramatically rises or continues to rise without cooling down, than there may be a different issue.

My temperature benchmarks have been all over the place. Sometimes it will only get up to 70 on max load, and other times it's cranking up to the 90 that I mentioned earlier. The difference between low and max fan/pump settings only changes temps by about 2C.

Yeah, the water temperature generally stays around 35.

I installed the washers and temperatures seem to be a few degrees better now. 2C or so, nothing significant. Maybe it would be further improved by a thicker washer, because I used fairly thin ones. There was certainly contact between the plate and cpu, whether it was enough or not I can't say for certain.

• 4 weeks later...
i have the same issue. 4790k, Maximus VII Impact and H100i GTX. I combined the rubber washers that came from my motherboard with four washers from my h100i GTX. Basically adds enough thickness making sure that the four stand-off mounts are flat leveled with mobo's surface. Made dramastic temp drops. 4.6GHz @1.2v (30 mins rog real bench stress test) max temp of 77C. (t'was 89-90C before)

Archived