Corsair Community

System shutdown while gaming

Riboflavin

My system has started to shut down while gaming. It started to happen when I was playing Risen 2. It also happens if I try to run the Unigine Valley benchmark. There is no BSOD, just a complete shutdown then reboot a few seconds after. I believe it may be a problem with my Corsair HX1050 power supply as I can't find any temperature or driver issues. The CPU and GPU are running at stock speeds. Motherboard bios is current. I've ran Memtest86 with no errors. It happens when the power supply is plugged directly into an electrical outlet.

I do have a Gtx 980ti video card. Is it possible that this card is overloading the power supply somehow? I would assume that the HX1050 meets or exceeds the power requirements for this video card. Is there was to determine if there are any known compatibility issues with my hardware, or specifically with the HX1050?

I dont think a 980TI can overload a PSU like that. Have you tried using seperate PCIe cables for the two power sockets on the card?

Yes, the cables are separate. One 6-pin connector and one 8-pin connector. I uploaded a picture of the connectors. Is this the right way the cables should be connected?

P_20160310_183329.thumb.jpg.a2598cf6c8c722b49d4a2398ed334452.jpg

Yes, the cables are separate. One 6-pin connector and one 8-pin connector. I uploaded a picture of the connectors. Is this the right way the cables should be connected?

As long as they are not daisy chained connectors you should be fine. Something else must be causing the problem. Try to isolate the problem by removing parts to a bare minimum...

EVGA recommends a minimum 500 watt power supply for use with their GTX 980ti. I currently have two GTX-980ti's on a single rail 850 watt p.s. with no issues whatsoever.

Something else is going on in your system especially since the problem just started. Can you swap out the p.s. with another one above 500 watts just to check?

• 2 weeks later...

After swapping the power supplies, my issue seems to be resolved. I can run Valley at the highest settings with no shutdowns, and I've been able to play Risen 2 without the system shutting down at the same point every time.

I also noticed there was a faint sizzling/static noise when playing games with the HX1050 installed, but it no longer happens with the TX750. I thought it was coming from the speakers, but now I'm not sure. The static would variate with what was displaying on the monitor, especially during a lot of graphic activity when gaming. Is this considered to be coil whine? Also, how can I get my system to run stably with the HX1050?

Archived