Corsair Community

Utilizing the Commander Mini with Hydro H100i CPU cooler

Pan_Melas

Good day to all

A few days ago I opened a new thread, where I placed a question, requiring information about the now discontinued Corsair Link Cooling Kit.

In that thread, I received a reply from the member red-ray, who advised me to get the Corsair Commander Mini, which replaced the Corsair Link Cooling Kit and it is currently in production.

I tried to find it in several places and I finally locate it and purchased it from Amazon, but it will take about 15 to 20 days to arrive.

In the meantime, I also purchased a Corsair Hydro 100i CPU Cooler, intended to be used on a Skylake i7-6700k CPU, in combination with the above purchased Corsair Commander Mini.

My first question is:

Will the Commander Mini work together with the Hydro 100i?

I presume that the answer should be "YES", as far as I understood from red-ray's post in my other thread. The extension of this question is if the Commander Mini package contains all the necessary connection items, to make it work together with the 100i. I can see that the Commander Mini package contains the following necessary hardware:

1 x Corsair Commander Mini

1 x Corsair Link Digital connection cable

3 x Fan extension cables

4 x Thermistor cables

1 x Mounting Tape

However, by looking in the Corsair Link product page, I also see several other hardware items, like the Corsair Link Lighting Node, the Corsair Link RGB LED and the Corsair Link Accessory Cable Kit.

I can see that these items are sold separately. I wonder whether any or all of them are absolutely necessary to make the Commander Mini work correctly with the Hydro 100i or they are just add-on items, providing more operational flexibility and features.

I also need to know if the Commander Mini will operate with the 100i, using the Corsair Link Installer v4.2.1.42 Software or it will need the CL 3.2.5742 one, as red-ray advised, regarding the Hydro H80, in my previous mentioned thread.

Your input will be appreciated.

-

Edited by Pan_Melas

If you look at https://www.alternate.co.uk/Corsair/Commander-Mini/html/product/1163867?event=search they are due in 9 days time and if you look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=835332 it been counting down for some time.

I have both a H100i + H80 connected via a CL Mini with both working fine.

CL4 supports the H100i. You don't need a CL Mini to use a H100i with CL4/CL3.

The Corsair Link Lighting Node has not been available since last summer.

If you look at https://www.alternate.co.uk/Corsair/Commander-Mini/html/product/1163867?event=search they are due in 9 days time and if you look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=835332 it been counting down for some time.

I have both a H100i + H80 connected via a CL Mini with both working fine.

CL4 supports the H100i. You don't need a CL Mini to use a H100i with CL4/CL3.

The Corsair Link Lighting Node has not been available since last summer.

Thanks, for the input, red-ray.

As I wrote, I have already ordered the CL Mini from Amazon, perhaps at a higher price than that of the link you provided, but even so, I tried to enter the shop, by creating an account, but it is only for UK costomers, it won't leave me do it, as it requires a UK address.

However, I may need a second CL Mini at that good price, provided of course that I can create an account.

-

• 7 months later...
...I have both a H100i + H80 connected via a CL Mini with both working fine.

CL4 supports the H100i. You don't need a CL Mini to use a H100i with CL4/CL3...

Hello again

After a long-long summer time (which unfortunately was spent, not only for vacation, but for some extensive renovation and repairs of our country house) I am back to my home and I started putting things in order again, to finish what was unfinished before leaving.

Therefore, I am refreshing this thread, mainly because I have purchased a 2nd CL Mini, in order to use it with my Hydro 100i CPU cooler. The 100i is going to cool an Intel Xeon X5492, running on an Asus P5QC or on an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo (the final choice will be taken later on, after considering several needs and parameters).

I checked the items included in the package of the 100i and I found that its digital (USB) connection can only be done with the supplied USB cable, which has to be connected to a motherboard USB header. This seems to be the only choice of connection, contrary to the type of direct connection provided between the CL Mini and the H80 Hydro cooler.

Therefore, my question is:

Will the CL Mini work with this connection (meaning that it has to detect the 100i via its motherboard USB connection) or do I need any kind of adapter to connect the 100i directly on one of the digital ports of the CL Mini? And if I really need an adapter, what kind should this be and where can I find one?

Thanks.

If this a H100i or a H100iV2/H100iGTX?

This is only possible with a H100i using the C-Link cable that came with the CL mini.

Post a photo of the cables + coolers that you have

You are right, red-ray, it is my mistake that I did not clarify it. It is a H100i v2. The cable has a USB mini plug at one end at 90 degrees angle and a 9-hole black plug at the other end, to be fitted on a motherboard USB 2.0 header.

You can see it on the following picture, the right one of the three shown:

http://proclockers.com/sites/default/files/images/review/corsair/h100i/h100i_8.JPG

Therefore, the question remains:

Will the CL Mini work with this connection (meaning that it has to detect the 100i via its motherboard USB connection) or do I need any kind of adapter to connect the 100i directly on one of the digital ports of the CL Mini? And if I really need an adapter, what kind should this be and where can I find one?

Thanks.

Therefore, the question remains:

Will the CL Mini work with this connection (meaning that it has to detect the H100iV2 via its motherboard USB connection) or do I need any kind of adapter to connect the H100iV2 directly on one of the digital ports of the CL Mini? And if I really need an adapter, what kind should this be and where can I find one?

1. The H100iV2 must be USB connected and can't be connected via a CL Mini C-Link digital port.
  2. If you don't have enough motherboard USB headers see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759585.

You have a H100iV2 and this is what you need to specify :(:.

1. The H100iV2 must be USB connected and can't be connected via a CL Mini C-Link digital port.
  2. If you don't have enough motherboard USB headers see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759585.

Thanks a lot, red ray, for your advice. Things became clear to me now, regarding the connection. Thank you also for proposing the thread, discussing about the limitation of USB headers. The NZXT IU01 USB Expansion is a fantastic solution. I don't need it for this particular case, but I may need one in another case.

You have a H100iV2 and this is what you need to specify :(:.

You are also right on this. I followed your advise and I changed the initial title of the thread, adding the "v2" on it.

Finally, there is still one more point to be clarified:

When connecting the 100i v2 on a motherboard USB header and utilizing the CL Mini simultaneously, will the application be able to "see" (detect) the H100i v2 and allow it to be controlled?

-

Finally, there is still one more point to be clarified:

When connecting the 100i v2 on a motherboard USB header and utilizing the CL Mini simultaneously, will the application be able to "see" (detect) the H100i v2 and allow it to be controlled?

-

Which application?

All of AIDA64 + CL4 + HWiNFO + SIV (my application) should be capable of reporting both at the same time. CL4 + SIV should also be able to control both.

Which application?

All of AIDA64 + CL4 + HWiNFO + SIV (my application) should be capable of reporting both at the same time. CL4 + SIV should also be able to control both.

Thank you for your reply, red ray. I meant the Corsair CL 4 of course, but now, with the various apps that you gave me, I see that I can choose from a nice selection of four.

The CL4 would be one to try, but the SIV that you are using may also be an alternative, if not the main one.

:praise:

There's an updated version of the 1U01 called the NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 which is similar but comes in a black plastic case with a magnetic mount, rather than adhesive and velcro, £24.99 on Amazon.

If you have an Amazon account on, say, the .com site you can log in to any other site, such as the .co.uk site, using your original log in details and password, no need to set up a new account.