Corsair Community

H80i V2 in SPEC-01 case

kris228

yes, it fits but I had to do a tad of trimming with the tin snips and bending with pliers. Minor.

You need an ATX mobo or at least a mobo where the vid card is over one back case slot.

I had expected to get a GT but MicroCenter pointed me at the V2 so off I went.

Before doing anything I went to BIOS and set all fans to FULL (in Health).

Then I plugged the whole thing into a fan header and listen for squeals. Only the very slightest pump whine if you listen real close (like ear right on it). Not noticeable as I'm typing this. Fans are quiet. Remember everything is set to FULL in BIOS.

Person at MC told me to mount radiator first, then pump unit, but this is impossible as you can't access the pump mount screws with the radiator in place (rear of case).

Surprise: instructions said to mount radiator fans sucking air in from outside. Yes you get colder air but you also get dust so I will have to remember to blow it out occasionally. That IS how I installed it. I figure Corsair knows best.

Okay. Put backplate and pump on with hoses coming out on side next to memory (front of case). I removed their thermal compound and used Arctic Silver 5 on both CPU and pump. Fairly easy install.

Then I attacked the radiator, but this was relatively easy as I had first made sure that it would fit, and "modified" the case slightly. Used both fans pointing/blowing IN - fan/radiator/fan sandwich. Hoses coming out the BOTTOM. (vertical tower) EDIT: I figure if there is air in the system it will go to the top away from the hoses and pump and not cause noise.

i5-4670K is OC from 3.5 to 4.3 via simple OC of 20% and mod Vcore to 2.25 (AMI tends to default to 2.41 in the 20% position).

Ambient is around 76F or 24C.

Opsys is Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 Unity (my Win7 key runs out tomorrow.)

Before: CM Hyper TX3: Idle around 38C. Running NWN2 puts it to 59.

After: H80i V2: Idle around 33. NWN2 puts it to around 52. EDIT: 48.

I am quite satisfied with this BUT...

I did not count on the H80i fans pointing in. I have 2 Corsair 140 fans on the front blowing in. Now I will add a 120 fan blowing out on the top-forward position.- That should get a bit of the H80i heat out of the case.

Comments/thoughts?

:D

You should turn the fans around to exhaust unless you have extremely low GPU loads. This is the better set up for the vast majority of people. The wording in the manual is a little vague, but reads something like "for the best performance" run as intake. This is technically true in CPU only load, but usually only brings temps down 2-4C. Once you start mixing in GPU heat and walls behind the case, that external air isn't so cool anymore and that advantage usually disappears.

Thanks to both of you.

I did get a 120 fan and put it on the case top toward the front. That lowers idle to 30-32 or so. Air is still blowing out the rear card plate holes so case is positive pressure. I just ran NWN2 MOTB for a bit and GPU only got up to 36. I think that's my most intensive video use. it idles around 29.

I recall that when I tore my machine apart a couple of days ago, the HSF had a bit of dust on it, as did the vid card, so the front filter on the SPEC-01 is not as good as I thought. I just picked up a Silverstone filter and put it over the H80i input, so we will see. If I get a ton of dust, I'll reverse the fans. Otherwise laziness will prevail! :)

Temp-wise this is super. If I have to clean dust twice a year, that is minor. I am at 4.3 with only 2 setting changes in BIOS, and I don't think an i5-4670K will get much higher than 4.5 or so. 4.3 is a very nice boost from 3.5

I would buy it (the H80i V2) again in a heartbeat!

Cooling kits have come a long way, and Corsair is tops!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!

I want to get the H80i v2 as a replacement for my now dead air cooler. I also have the SPEC-01 case and I am wondering if you could explain the trimming of the case you had to do? The corsair website for the SPEC-01 lists the H80i as a compatible water cooler so I'm quite surprised you have to manually bend the case. Please let me know why exactly you had to do to get it to fit, thanks!

Hi!

I want to get the H80i v2 as a replacement for my now dead air cooler. I also have the SPEC-01 case and I am wondering if you could explain the trimming of the case you had to do? The corsair website for the SPEC-01 lists the H80i as a compatible water cooler so I'm quite surprised you have to manually bend the case. Please let me know why exactly you had to do to get it to fit, thanks!

The side where the lexan window is - top rear - the case edge is rolled to add strength and gets in the way of the radiator of the 80i. I trimmed about 2"length and 1/8 to 3/16" high. A bit tricky to fit the side back on but now fine. You can see the nibbling in the pic.Very minor. I doubt any alternative would fit better. Maybe the 75 but I wanted the cooling of the 80.

The PSU was returned. it misbehaved.

IMG_0711.thumb.JPG.ecba24e7df7f10ab4ffde9cc9c2fc285.JPG

I have the H80I v2 running in my corsair spec m2 matx case directed outwards and both front fans blowing inwards. But my question is I have a Asus Maximus Gene VII matx motherboard and Asus Fan Expert 3 tries to run the waterpump when connected to the CPU header. Where is the best place to run the power for the waterpump on this board. It has a waterpump dedicated power header but then I get a CPU Fan warning at startup since no fan is connected to the header?

I do not use Corsair or Gigabyte software. I connect H80iV2 pump (and the 2 fans blowing in) to "cpu_opt", I connected a 120 corsair silent fan blowing out the top to "cpu_fan".(GA-Z97X-UD3H). Your mobo has 3 fan headers near the cpu - pump, opt, and fan - I would connect the pump (and 2 fans) into the pump header. All my headers are set to "Normal" in BIOS PC Health Status. hth. I additionally have 2 Corsair silent fans on the front blowing in, connected to other fan headers.

EDIT: warnings are set in BIOS /Health

Archived