Corsair Community

Pulling my hair out CML16GX3M2A1600C9

Mike89

I have this problem I just can't figure out. My system

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard, latest BIOS

CML16GX3M2A1600C9 memory, 2 x 8 sticks, bios ram setting to 1.3 profile, 1.5v.

I7 3770k

Windows 10 Pro x64 (fresh clean install)

GTX 770 vid card

I get no errors in memtest86 or Windows memory diagnostics. No blue screens in Windows 10.

The problems

Intermittent Bootup problems, black screen after Windows loads, and/or monitor loses signal during boot. Sometimes boots up fine.

Problems in Windows (intermittent)

Browser crashes (after an hour or so)

Sometimes taskbar will lose icons

Sometimes mouse and keyboard will behave erratically like going to a menu when clicking on a link or something.

Sometimes keyboard will register upper case symbols when a number is pressed (caplock off).

Replaced vid card, motherboard, and psu with no change.

Tried taking memory out of slots 2 and 4, reversing them and problem got 90% better but still not 100% fixed.

Is this a memory issue?

Didn't replace drive (SSD). Did clean install. I had these issues in Windows 7 also, but seems more now in Windows 10 (although I haven't got the mouse/keyboard issues in Windows 10). I'm a long time computer user (old dude) and have had my share of issues along the way, but this one has this old bird stumped. I made the mistake of the trial and error thing of just replacing parts, and it looks now like I replaced perfectly good parts. When I switched the memory around (same slots just reversed sticks) I thought the problem was fixed cause it was fine for a few days, booted up perfect and no browser crashes. That's what got me thinking maybe there was a problem with one of the sticks. Then I got another browser crash yesterday and the boot up issue again today.

• Corsair Employee
Didn't replace drive (SSD). Did clean install. I had these issues in Windows 7 also, but seems more now in Windows 10 (although I haven't got the mouse/keyboard issues in Windows 10). I'm a long time computer user (old dude) and have had my share of issues along the way, but this one has this old bird stumped. I made the mistake of the trial and error thing of just replacing parts, and it looks now like I replaced perfectly good parts. When I switched the memory around (same slots just reversed sticks) I thought the problem was fixed cause it was fine for a few days, booted up perfect and no browser crashes. That's what got me thinking maybe there was a problem with one of the sticks. Then I got another browser crash yesterday and the boot up issue again today.

Which specific bios are you running on the board, and are you able to revert to the version right before it?

The other thing I would recommend is just to try running a single module at a time.

• Corsair Employee
Put in 2 different sticks of RAM (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) I had and no more problems.

I checked the specs on your system and it didnt state that it supported DDRL3. The voltage is probably your issue, since DDR3L runs at 1.35V and the replacement unit you swapped is 1.5V. Anyhow, glad it's now working.

Archived