Corsair Community

H100i GTX Revving up sound at random

MagmaticWolf

I just put together a new PC about a week ago and other then my H100i cooler everything seems to be working fine.

From what I can tell this is 100% random and I can't figure it out but the cooler sounds like its revving up (like a car would). It will do it for maybe 5 seconds and then stop. 5-10 minutes later it will do it again for no reason. This is all while idle too. I can sometimes trigger it...On occasion when I open up chrome it will start revving up for a few seconds and then stop and then it wont do it again for another 10 minutes.

The corsair link software won't show the cooler no matter what I do either. I've tried 2 USB headers and reinstalling the program a coupe times and it won't show up. I can't change the fan curve on this without the program working. My motherboard lets me turn off the automatic fan speed but then the speed just sits at 100% which I obviously don't want.

The cooler is doing its job as my temps hover around 22-25 C and doesn't surpass 60 while gaming.

I will take any suggestions some of you may have in order to fix it... otherwise does this sound like this thing needs to be exchanged for a new one?

I believe my specs are in my bio if you need to reference them.

Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks guys.

I had the identical problem with that motherborad and an H110i GT running on windows 10. I conneced the rad fans to the motherboard cpu headers, the pump to the water pump header and used Fan Expert (part of the Asus Suite) to control the fans. They have stopped "revving up" and below 41 degrees the case fans are turned off, making it almost silent. I upped the speed of the rad fans a bit to stop a slight resonance.

People look at posts, but they don't always have anything useful to add, so they don't post anything.

What do you use for a fan curve on Fan Expert?

I tried doing that and it seemed to stop the random revving up when the fans are mostly idle but it still seemed to rev up when I did anything else other than idle (Opening a browser or any program or Playing a game.

If I can't get this fixed would it be possible to just replace the fans with a couple that plug right in to the PSU instead of the MB header? would I still be able to control the speed this way or would they be at a constant 100%?

You need to program in a 'delay' into the fan curve. CPU temperatures are very dynamic and trying to keep the fan in step on water cooled system isn't necessary. I can't say for certain on Z170, but typically the CPU & OPT headers will have very short delays 1-2, 5 seconds, whereas the CHA_FAN headers will go something like 0, 12.5, 25, 50 seconds. With a water system, the 12 second spin-up is fine and I use that on my H110. You also want to put the spin down speed at something like 12 or 25 to keep the revving to a minimum. It is particularly helpful with Windows 10 when it thinks I need 12 cores at 100% to look at someone's posted picture.

http://techreport.com/r.x/2016_1_24_Asus_ROG_Maximus_VIII_Impact_MiniITX_motherboard_reviewed/22-software_aisuite_fanxpert.jpg

Running from the PSU would make any fan run at 100%, unless you have some sort of in-line control. I can't see any reason to do this if you have AI Suite/Fan Xpert at your disposal.

The Hero VIII is an excellent board withe plenty of fan connections. From memory, my delays are set to 5 seconds and I used the curve set by Fan Expert after doing the fan test. Most of the time my case fans are off, even playing Fallout 4 at 4k only just gets them spinning.

It turns out that the resonance I was getting is caused by one of the 5.25 bay locking mechanisms being loose. Have to see if I can remove it.

Archived