Corsair Community

Advice regarding Push or Pull in Air 240

Knyte

I have just placed my order for my new build, and have a question regarding best way to setup the cooling.

I will be running a H100i GTX in a Air 240 case, and due to the size of the video card, (MSI R9 390,) I will only be able to run one pair of fans on the radiator. (Which will be placed in the front of the case.) I have ordered a 2 pack of the SP120 fans, and was wondering if setting them up in a push or pull would be more effective.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a particular rerason for mounting the rad on the front? The R9 is a fairly hot running card (I have the Sapphire version) so by pulling cold air in through the rad at the front you will be blowing warm air onto it and also onto the other components. If you mount the rad on top as an exhaust and have 2 good fans at the front, pulling air in, you will get the maximum cooling in the case for only a small increase in CPU temp (about 3 degrees?)

Well, if you look at this picture of someone else's build, it is almost identical to the setup I will have, and by the look of things, I don't think the rad + fans will fit at the top without interfering with the mobo, especially where the RAM is.

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/86/900x900px-LL-86c13358_IMG_20151223_130733.jpeg

Although, what if I reverse the airflow, by using the top as intakes and the front as the exhaust? Would setting the fans to push out through the rad be a good option?

I don't think you can put a 240mm radiator in the "top" on this case. However, as you mentioned, reversing the flow might be interesting to try and you are not constrained by drive bays blocking the flow. It also might allow you to make better use of the rear vent. In the standard set up (in through H100 GTX/out through the roof), the radiator will limit the airflow coming into the case unless you blast the fans. The tendency is for the top rear fan to pull a lot air from the vent in back. You may be able to feel it with your hand unless you run very low top fan speeds. That doesn't help exchange the interior air very much. In reverse, CPU heat is pushed out directly, the card will still try and eject it's heat out the PCI rear slot and the top fans are likely to cause some air to move out the back mesh instead, further removing GPU waste heat. You may want to consider running the GTX fans at a constant speed when gaming or anything else with a sustained load to help with exhaust flow. Just pick a speed where the noise isn't bothersome.

As for the original question, push-pull is useful for moving more air at low fan speeds or when using somewhat inappropriate fans for the radiator. It does not increase the maximum capacity of air you can move through the radiator (the airflow volume does not stack). In this kind of set-up, you are never going to be able to run low fan speed on the radiator while under load because the GTX is an integral part of the flow. It is either the only exhaust or the only intake. It also looks like it would really tight, require you to mount the fans externally, or some other compromise without any real benefit in exchange.

If reversing the fans does not work out, the other option is to mount an additional fan in the back grill. I think you are limited to either 80 or 92mm. You would use this as exhaust (with top intake/GTX exhaust) and this would hopefully ease the need to run the GTX fans quite as hard to get air out the case. 80/92mm fans tend to be a bit buzzy, so this not something you want to run hard, but any fan is usually an large increase in flow over passive air movement. However, I would wait to see if it is really necessary. The passive set-up may be enough.

Thanks for the info!

I will try with the top as intakes and the front (through the rad) as the exhaust when everything arrives. I'll post an update with operating temps, in case anyone else would like to know if this works.

Thanks for the info!

I will try with the top as intakes and the front (through the rad) as the exhaust when everything arrives. I'll post an update with operating temps, in case anyone else would like to know if this works.

I've been wanting to see some results from switching the orientation, I might just open up my case and reverse the fans, having the top and rear as intake and the front as exhaust.

My fear is that the pc will basically just become a space heater with all the hot air coming out the front of the case.

If you run the 'top' as intake as well as an add-on rear rear fan, that still creates a bit of a bottle-neck at the front trying to move all of the exhaust air out through a radiator. With top intake, you should be better off with the rear as an exhaust to take some of the burden off the front panel, radiator restricted fans. You almost would need to run the SP120L's at full blast to keep up with the other three. That said, it is easy enough to try and experiment for yourself.

The alternative would be to run the the front panel as intake (H100i or whatever) and the rear add-on as intake to supplement. With dual top fans, that should be close to a balanced flow. A potential downside might be pulling some of the GPU waste heat back into the case after it exhausts from the PCI slot below the rear vent. However, that is both GPU and environmentally dependent, so it may work just fine depending upon your conditions. Also, given the set-up of the Air 240 that heat likely goes right back out the top with minimal impact on case conditions.

Well, it turns out everything is all for naught. My original order didn't go through as planned, and so I had to switch vendors. Which means I had to adjust a few parts to still fit within my budget. So, I downgraded to a H80i GT, which I think based on reviews will be more than enough to keep my 6600K cool. Also, it will sit in the upper front slot of the case and even with the standard push/pull setup, it shouldn't interfere with anything else.

It is possible you may have to sacrifice the forward, top fan to accommodate the 99mm of the H80i GT/V2. Have a look at this (last several posts). The bottom sandwich is 77mm. You can visualize what another 22mm would look like in the top position. The top mount is 52mm, so nearly twice that thickness.

Archived