Corsair Community

H60 riser detached from motherboard

futuremoves

My CPU is running at 97c within minutes of turning on! Looking inside I saw that the one of the riser screws on my H60 had come loose. Specifically it had become detached from the motherboard (i.e. at the back of the motherboard it’s no longer screwed in to the back plate). This looks to me like a prime suspect for the overheating.

I intend to clean old thermal paste off the H60 and the CPU and apply new thermal paste.

My issue is that to get to the back plate to see/mend what’s going on I would have to remove my motherboard (and other components along the way and I am not at all confident in doing that. This is the first time I’ve ever lifted the lid on a PC!)

I’d be keen to hear your opinion on these three options:

1. Man up and learn how to remove motherboard (as long as you’re organised and note where everything goes there presumably not too much that can go wrong?)

2. Superglue the riser screw to the motherboard (thereby negating the need to remove the motherboard). I understand that this means I am stuck with using an H60 for the life of the motherboard, but that’s fine. Though I wonder if superglue will a) be strong enough, b) conduct heat or c) damage/dissolve the motherboard

3. Connect with just the three riser screws – though I am worried that the contact between the H60 and the CPU will be insufficient (and therefore it will still overheat)

Are there any other options you’d consider?

Many thanks.

• Corsair Employee

"riser screws" - Are you referring to the standoffs? These should be properly and securely fastened onto the backplate, otherwise, you will run to issues such as the one you are describing.

I choose #1 - remove the motherboard to confirm everything is as they should be. If not, re-do install. If you need a new mounting kit, check this if you have our second gen H60 or this for the older CWCH60.

"riser screws" - Are you referring to the standoffs? These should be properly and securely fastened onto the backplate, otherwise, you will run to issues such as the one you are describing.

I choose #1 - remove the motherboard to confirm everything is as they should be. If not, re-do install. If you need a new mounting kit, check this if you have our second gen H60 or this for the older CWCH60.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try!

Well, THAT was an adventure! Temperature problem solved! However, the H60 is making quite a bit of noise now. It's not the fan, it's the actual unit over the CPU.

I know it's the H60 as, while operating, I pulled the "CPU fan" lead (for the H60) out of the motherboard and the noise stopped immediately.

The PC was on its side initially. Then I turned it the right way round and the noise changed in characteristic slightly. After 5 minutes the noise dulled a little, but it's still there. The noise is a continual kind of motor sound (quite a lot like a fish tank pump noise).

Do you have any suggestions as to what this might be?

Thanks

It could be air bubbles, try putting your computer on it's side and running it like that for a few hours. I'm surprised that your case didnt have a cut out behind the cpu socket, most fairly recent cases do.

Thank you. I will try that tonight.

It's a huge pain that my case didn't have a cut out like you mention... :-(

Archived