Corsair Community

Brand new H90 strange sounds

jyi786

Hello all. I just bought a brand new Corsair H90 from Microcenter. I mounted it and installed it on my GTX 980 Ti using a NZXT Kraken G10. I made sure to connect the pump to a Molex connector so that it remains fully powered all the time.

As soon as I hit the computer power, I noticed fairly loud water sloshing sounds coming from the unit. After about 5 minutes, this noise completely dissipated, and it's now basically completely silent. Almost.

The reason for my posting is this: every now and then, completely randomly (not tied to any system activity or anything), the pump will make a strange noise best described as an old IDE hard disk drive smacking its head on the platters. It sounds like a clatter or rattle. I've confirmed that it is NOT the fan; it is indeed coming from the pump. I do have the radiator mounted so that the tubes are at the bottom orientation, not the top. Moving the tubes around make no difference either; again the sound is completely at random.

Performance is fine, nothing seems out of the norm, and temps are great. I'd like to know if this noise is normal or what?

Anyone have any input?

I've been doing some more research on this, and it looks like this thread covers it pretty well.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=94741

Also, I plugged the pump plug into a NON-PWM CONTROLLED header on my motherboard, just so I could monitor the RPM level of the pump. The pump on the H90 seems to only run at 1500RPM. I am wondering if at this speed it would be safe to lower it slightly as the above thread recommends to see if I can quiet it.

You don't want to cut the voltage to the pump for an extended period of time. It will shorten it's lifespan. However, go ahead and take about 150 rpm off the top. If the hum/buzz/vibration goes away, then you know what is responsible. This is a somewhat common condition on the older Asetek H90/110 pumps. Make sure it is the pump and not another piece of the cooling system.

You don't want to cut the voltage to the pump for an extended period of time. It will shorten it's lifespan. However, go ahead and take about 150 rpm off the top. If the hum/buzz/vibration goes away, then you know what is responsible. This is a somewhat common condition on the older Asetek H90/110 pumps. Make sure it is the pump and not another piece of the cooling system.

It's the pump for sure. Since my room is quite cool in the winter, I went ahead and disconnected all fans from the system. The pump buzzes, but every now and then makes the clatter/rattle sound that sounds like what I described above. In addition to that, sometimes, it makes this very audible "splish" sound.

The water gurgle "splish" is OK and fairly normal. The pump buzz is far more irritating. While the pump will continue to function, the noise is likely to get worse as time goes by. Eventually dropping the pump RPM will no longer work. The clatter sound is even more concerning. That is not typical. You need to either RMA to unit with Corsair or return it to your retailer if still possible.

The water gurgle "splish" is OK and fairly normal. The pump buzz is far more irritating. While the pump will continue to be function, the noise is likely to get worse as time goes by. Eventually dropping the pump RPM will no longer work. The clatter sound is even more concerning. That is not typical. You need to either RMA to unit with Corsair or return it to your retailer if still possible.

I only bought this on Monday. I'm going to have to box it up on the weekend and take it in for an exchange.

Is there a way to tell whether or not I'm getting a recent/newer version that may not have this issue? It could be entirely possible that the store (MicroCenter) is selling old stock and I want to avoid any version that could be problematic.

Can I please get Corsair to chime in here?

• Corsair Employees
old IDE hard disk drive smacking its head on the platters

Take it back to MicroCenter and ask for an exchange. I'm almost positive that its just a bad unit to begin with. I wouldn't worry about the replacement having the same issue, it has nothing to do with the cooler's batch.

Take it back to MicroCenter and ask for an exchange. I'm almost positive that its just a bad unit to begin with. I wouldn't worry about the replacement having the same issue, it has nothing to do with the cooler's batch.

Thanks; I will do exactly that this weekend and then update this thread. I also have a ticket in with Corsair support, so I'll be updating that as well.

Update: took the H90 back to Microcenter and exchanged for a brand new H90.

Again, it was indeed the pump. The new one is whisper quiet, doesn't rattle like a HDD, and rarely makes that splashing sound.

However, the fan is a different story. It rattling and loud, so I mounted it on some extra sticky (soft) rubber washers. The rattling is for the most part muted, but it still growls at certain RPMs, mostly lower ones. The fan on the previous unit didn't do this.

I'm not going to take it back because of this; it would actually be cheaper for me to suck it up and buy another 140mm fan, but this is again just more money out of my pocket for what is increasingly evident of how Corsair is lacking in QA. I shouldn't have to run all over the place, spending my time and money when it should have been right, out of the box. Two times in a row? I vote with my wallet.

My case was a Corsair 600T. I've had QA issues with it from day one; yesterday one of the latch handles on the door broke, and I promptly went out and got a Fractal R5.

Needless to say, this H90 will be my last Corsair product. This coming from a Corsair fan, it's sad to see quality fall to the wayside from one of my favorite companies.

• Corsair Employees

Glad to see that the pump noise is gone from the new unit.

As for the fan noise, we can send you just the fan if you want. You really don't have to take it back to the store nor spend a dime to get a replacement. You'll just have to submit an RMA request, and we'll get you a replacement fan. Corsair.force.com.

Glad to see that the pump noise is gone from the new unit.

As for the fan noise, we can send you just the fan if you want. You really don't have to take it back to the store nor spend a dime to get a replacement. You'll just have to submit an RMA request, and we'll get you a replacement fan. Corsair.force.com.

Thanks for the response. Tech support already did exactly that yesterday: they are sending me out a new fan. I will install and let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I finally got a chance to install the new fan as I also was installing a new PSU. I tidied up the cables, replaced the fan, and hooked everything back up.

The grinding/shrill noises are gone. Only thing I hear now is the fan ticking, and that is so faint that you have to literally put your ear up to the case to hear it. FYI, all this is installed in a Fractal R5, which is pretty much the most silent case you can get.

All in all, the new fan fixed my problems. Thank you Corsair.

Archived