Corsair Community

2×CMX256A-3500C2 - Can't get stable over 220MHz

Csybe

Hi, I am having problems to make my machine stable above 275MHz FSB. What I am running now is Dualprime stable, see my sign. Today I finally managed to POST it at 1:1 (don't know why it didn't work before) and above 220MHz FSB it fails memtest86 the same way as it does with 275/220 (5:4). Test 5, block move, 64 moves, cached - this is the only test it fails, but it does everytime, with a fixed number of errors (12 and the first 2 bit or what fails)... No matter what timings, GA settings, VCore, N/B Strap... So it seems my Corsair 2×256Mb XMS3500 (Dual Channel) won't go above 220MHz with 2-5-3-2, and if I relax timings things will go even worse... WTF??? VDimm is 2.8V, it won't POST under that (beep - error code of memory problem)... My VCore was 1.55V with 1:1 as well, I don't think I need more since my CPU runs stable with 275/220... I have tried several combinations of timings including the Ram Guy recommended 2.5-6-3-2; 2-6-3-2, 2-7-3-3, 3-7-3-3, 2-5-4-2, 3-8-4-4, etc. I get more and more errors in memtest as timings get relaxed. Please help, I'd like to go to at least 3.4GHz :winking:

Is the NB on your MOBO actively cooled, I think the Abit's are. What are the spex on your power supply? You may have a power issue, or lack of power issue. If you are confident that nothing else in the system could cause this problem, I would contact the reseller for an RMA. Also, in the meantime, test the stix 1 at a time with Memtest. IF you have the option in your bios, disable Legacy USB Support while you run Memtest. There is an issue with Asus boards+Memtest but I don't know if that will affect you on an Abit. Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for your answer. My NB is actively cooled by the first revision Abit cooler, and my temps are fine since my room is air conditioned to 25°C. As you can see in my sign PSU is an Enermax 350W - VDimm from hardware monitor is 2.85V, under Prime95 the minimum is still 2.80V... I've just tried to disable the USB thing but it didn't help. My problem is that theoretically I should be able to go higher by starting to relax timings. With this modules however, I get the same or even more errors with more relaxed timings. I ran memtest86 at 285/226 and I got about the same errors so the CPU must be able to do higher with 1.575V for example. Oh and, modules are now running DDR440 and they are rated as DDR433. I can't RMA them because they won't overclock much... I am just unlucky with them.

• Corsair Employees
Well I am sorry but it does sound like you have a nice over clock going 220MHz at Cass 2-3-2-5 is not bad. But you can try setting the Rass to Cass to 4 and see if that helps. Cass 2-4-2-5 or Cass 2-4-2-7. Also I would set the Dim voltage to 2.8 Volts as well. Ram Guy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Well I am sorry but it does sound like you have a nice over clock going 220MHz at Cass 2-3-2-5 is not bad. But you can try setting the Rass to Cass to 4 and see if that helps. Cass 2-4-2-5 or Cass 2-4-2-7. Also I would set the Dim voltage to 2.8 Volts as well. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] Not to mention a 275FSB. I'd be more suspect of the CPU topping out than I would the RAM. Mike.

Lots of thanks for replies. I will try timings mentioned by You RAM GUY. My VDimm is 2.8V already since my PC won't post with 2.7V at this OC. specmike, it's surely not the CPU since it runs 2×Prime stable @3300MHz, 1.55V, and it fails even memtest86 quick test @3360MHz, 1.6V !

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by st_trooper [/i] [B]Buy PC3700 or PC4000. PC3500 is only tested to go 217Mhz. [/B][/QUOTE] Everything above XMS3500C2 is optimized for 3-4-8-8 as far as I know. I think it simply does not worth... 220MHz 2-5-3-2 has to be way faster than e.g. 235MHz 3-4-8-8 :(

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Please let us know how you make out! But if the CPU or chipset start to fail they will generate memory errors before they just fail to post. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] I will try that today :) As I said, I have memory errors on 223/223 1:1 as well, This is 2.4@2.68 for the CPU and only 223MHz for the chipset... Remember the rig is stable @ 275/220.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]The XMS3500C2 are based on Winbond Rev B -5's and will not support Cass 3. Only Cass 2 and 2.5 are supported by the IC. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah, I already suspected that. Do you know some sort of timings that will give me about +10MHz without errors? 2-5-4-2? Also, would 2.9 or 3V of VDimm help me? Wouldn't it cause any harm to the modules?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Csybe [/i] [B]Yeah, I already suspected that. Do you know some sort of timings that will give me about +10MHz without errors? 2-5-4-2? Also, would 2.9 or 3V of VDimm help me? Wouldn't it cause any harm to the modules? [/B][/QUOTE] The Corsair warranty is good to 2.8v, anything above that will void your warranty. As to the timings, I can't say for sure so you may just need to try to change them and test it yourself. You've got a GREAT OC going there and I suspect that you are almost maxed out. If you have any turbo or MAT/GAT settings on, you may turn them off or disabled to get a few more mhz out of the machine. Good luck though. Mike.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by specmike [/i] [B]The Corsair warranty is good to 2.8v, anything above that will void your warranty. As to the timings, I can't say for sure so you may just need to try to change them and test it yourself. You've got a GREAT OC going there and I suspect that you are almost maxed out. If you have any turbo or MAT/GAT settings on, you may turn them off or disabled to get a few more mhz out of the machine. Good luck though. Mike. [/B][/QUOTE] Thanks. :) I've not asked about the warranty, I've asked if it can harm my modules ;) What do you mean on MAT btw?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Csybe [/i] [B]Thanks. :) I've not asked about the warranty, I've asked if it can harm my modules ;)[/B][/QUOTE] OK, RAM GUY frequently recommends raising the Vdimm up to but not over 2.8v and reminds people to go over that or risk damaging the sticks and thus voiding the warranty. Do you think he is going to tell you to do something that will damage your RAM if he is responsible for replacing it? MAT is an Abit performance enhancement function.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by specmike [/i] [B]OK, RAM GUY frequently recommends raising the Vdimm up to but not over 2.8v and reminds people to go over that or risk damaging the sticks and thus voiding the warranty. Do you think he is going to tell you to do something that will damage your RAM if he is responsible for replacing it? MAT is an Abit performance enhancement function. [/B][/QUOTE] 1. I've never heard a single word about "MAT" 2. Vdimm over 2.8V is always not damaging sticks, lots of people using 2.9-3.0V with better oc. I even heard 3.2V without problems. 3. Vdimm over 2.8V is not voiding warranty since they won't be able to prove if I used them over 2.8V :p 4. Still not stable above 220MHz. RAM GUY? :(

• Corsair Employees
Our modules are only rated at 2.8 Volts unless you have our XMS4000 and they would be up to 2.9 Volts. And any above this would void the warranty. [QUOTE]3. V-dim over 2.8V is not voiding warranty since they won't be able to prove if I used them over 2.8V: [/QUOTE] That’s not exactly true. We can tell first by the failure in the IC and second by your post here in the forum. And running the modules you have at 220 MHz would be a great OC so I would not see any need to replace them. If you want to go higher then I would suggest our Twinx1024-4000 Modules. Ram Guy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Our modules are only rated at 2.8 Volts unless you have our XMS4000 and they would be up to 2.9 Volts. And any above this would void the warranty. That’s not exactly true. We can tell first by the failure in the IC and second by your post here in the forum. And running the modules you have at 220 MHz would be a great OC so I would not see any need to replace them. If you want to go higher then I would suggest our Twinx1024-4000 Modules. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] Well in case of failure I won't RMA it to you but to my local reseller :p PC4000 modules are optimized for 3-4-8-8 as far as I know, and that is slow. And a module rated for 217 @ 220 is NOT a great overclock. It's not my fault that relaxing timings will generate even more errors. peace :)

Csybe you have too many sticks in there... i wouldn't be surprised if you get ALOT higher with only 1 stick... that's why i don't even bother with dual channel, you can't overclock as high... and you can't overclock as high if you have more than 1 stick in SC mode... after reading this, i doubt an rma would help you [quote]XMS3500C2 is rated at 217 MHz at Cass 2-3-3-7 with one module only and at DDR400 at Cass 2-3-2-6 with 2 modules so yes that is a good over clock. Ram Guy[/quote]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by login211 [/i] [B]Csybe you have too many sticks in there... i wouldn't be surprised if you get ALOT higher with only 1 stick... that's why i don't even bother with dual channel, you can't overclock as high... and you can't overclock as high if you have more than 1 stick in SC mode... [/B][/QUOTE] That's not true at all about the OCing in dual channel. People are hitting over 300FSB and going over 4ghz with several of the current dual channel MOBOs. The average person with a dual channel MOBO+2.4c CPU+air cooling is getting FSB260+, 3.2ghz and higher. Your statement about OCing in single channel mode is partially accurate from my experience. Often, you can clock just as high but, you have to loosen the timings. Mike

i've seen too many examples of it.. it is true, not just in my case(i can get to 220fsb in SC and in DC using DC mem i can barely get passed 200fsb...) perhaps your statment is true about intel mobos but i've been on nforcershq.com since jan/feb and i've seen it too many times... also, ram guy is saying something similar here i *think* [quote]XMS3500C2 is rated at 217 MHz at Cass 2-3-3-7 with one module only and at DDR400 at Cass 2-3-2-6 with 2 modules so yes that is a good over clock. Ram Guy[/quote]

Archived