Corsair Community

H100i GTX connections

L003sgh

Ok, I have seen many posts about where to plug the power for the H100i GTX...some say CPU_Fan some say CPU_Opt some say it doesn't matter...so I will ask one more time :) Do I connect the power(which also includes the fans) to the CPU_Fan or CPU_opt ...or close my eyes and just pick one? :bigeyes:

Most of the time it does not really matter, just remember to disable fan control in the BIOS for which ever one you choose.

On some motherboards such as my ASRock X79 Champion then CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT are multiplexed via the same NCT6776F fan sensor. As CL3/CL4 will only report whichever one happens to be selected then I would need to use whichever one that is.

You should add your PC specs to you profile and as you have not done this I can't tell you if your motherboard is the same as mine, I suspect not, but...

Ok, I have seen many posts about where to plug the power for the H100i GTX...some say CPU_Fan some say CPU_Opt some say it doesn't matter...so I will ask one more time :) Do I connect the power(which also includes the fans) to the CPU_Fan or CPU_opt ...or close my eyes and just pick one? :bigeyes:

It is extremely important that you connect the fans and pump correctly. It is unfortunate that the Corsair instruction is very confusing. The motherboard BIOS monitor multiple temperatures and you want to control the cooler fan speed according to the CPU temperature only.

The radiator fans are PWM (pulse width modulation) type (4-pin) which allows fan speed to be controlled by the CPU load (i.e., temperature). They must be connected to a corresponding PWM header on the motherboard. Some MB has more than one 4-pin header, you must consult the manufacturer on which has the correct CPU temperature curve for control. In your case, I would guess the CPU_Fan is the correct one. The Corsair fans are rated at 2000 rpm max and a little too loud at full speed. From the posts on this forum, most properly setup cooler runs around 1000 rpm plus minus 200 rpm. My H75 setup does the same. It seems to be a good range balancing between performance and noise. You can identify the PWM header by its 4-pins small Molex type. The CPUFAN header on your MB is where you want this connection go.

The header pump runs at constant 1500 rpm and is very quiet. You can connect it to any 3-pin header on the motherboard. The third pin is the sensor that allows you to monitor its speed, but there is no PWM control pin. Connect it to a 4-pin header should be ok too because it does not accept any PWM signal. But check the pump rpm to make sure it is the case. You do not want the pump to slow down.

Ok, thanks for all the info. Still a little confusing though...

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GT mobo. The H100i GTX only has one connection to the motherboard...there are not separate connections for the pump and fans. The fans plug into the pump header then the power for the pump is what plugs into the motherboard. So If I plug it into the CPU_Fan port do I still disable fan control in the BIOS? Will the fans be able to be controlled and run at slower speeds when not under load if I do that?

Archived