Corsair Community

Double Shot Key Caps

Corsair Henry

Which color keycaps and Material do you prefer?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Which color keycaps and Material do you prefer?

• Black Keycaps + ABS
    • Black Keycaps + PBT
    • White keycaps + ABS
    • White keycaps + PBT
    • numbers + Legends side by side ( better lighting)
    • Single Thickness
    • Double thickness

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like and Excellent idea to me.If they can go on my strafe RGB silent keyboard be awesome.color doesn't bother me so let you guys pick the color.

I still want to know what these caps are are they the numbers letters those caps

I would say these caps will probably be $30 depending on how many you get all of them

• Corsair Employee
I saw your post on OcUK, I frequent that place despite being in the US myself. I let some of the Corsair tech marketing guys know so hopefully it's up on social media soon, I will then share on OCN and .

You are the man! I was going to have a chat with them today to see what they can do for me. Thanks:D:

I am expressing my interest, and also that of a good 40-50 other people who told me the same thing.

Having said that, I wanted to mention some caveats with double shot keycaps- the fonts can be inconsistent. It is also impossible (to my knowledge) to get letters that have a closed loop. Case in point, here's some close up pics from the double shot keycaps on a Ducky Shine 5:

http://i.imgur.com/pGEmmbil.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NBxAX9Il.jpg

Notice how the "e" is different. Others have mentioned their keycaps being different from mine, so there is definite inconsistency with these keycaps anyway. It could be a QC/QA issue in terms of inconsistency so perhaps Corsair could come up with a good, reliable set of aftermarket options that fit the K65/70/95 and Strafe boards.

This screenshot is a VERY poor example to use, so I had to reply here and say it directly.

This is from the BLACK doubleshot keycaps of the Ducky Shine 5 and Ducky One, due to the font they used and translucent keycaps. This is NOT indicative of every sample of inconsistent fonts!

Note: there are doubleshot keycaps that don't allow the backlight to shine through the legends also. The ones that do are usually called "translucent" or "backlight compatible."

Anyway: To counterbalance the above argument about unstable fonts: The WHITE version of these keycaps here: do NOT have ANY of these problems, even though the same font is used, and there is a screenshot as well as a close-up zoom in example to prove it:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1579

Here are some more examples, but with keycaps with HIDEOUS fonts.

These are the "Gemini double injection" keycaps as used on the Void Ray/Teamwolf and Zhuque change it yourself keyboards.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/team-wolf-swappable-switch-mechanical-keyboard

(with closeups of the HIDEOUS LEGENDS).

http://world.taobao.com/item/526150985289.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.yPwWQT#detail

http://world.taobao.com/item/44484696543.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.yPwWQT#detail

Corsair, If you're reading this, please take very careful note of this:

corsair is losing some potential customers by having keyboards with "non standard bottom row" sizes, so people can't replace the stock keycaps with custom made ones, which causes some customers to buy competing products.

If corsair were to use a STANDARD sized bottom row on future keyboards, they *WOULD MAKE MORE MONEY* by having more customers who would be willing to try their keyboards, instead of a competing brand with a standard bottom row. Replacing keycaps and buying custom caps for keyboards is a rather big thing to some people, even if its a "minority" of users. With internet and forums and discussions everywhere, more people are learning about replacing keycaps.

Keycap sets are the only thing missing from your Gaming Keyboard line. You know we can't use the other keycap sets from other manufacturers (save for 1 or 2 like max keyboard). Make some PBT backlight compatible double shot keycap sets and we'll definitely pay premium. Put an online keyboard keycap design app in the corsair website and be amazed at your members' creativity. We can even take a vote on which keycap set to run. Sort of like what Lincoln said, keycaps should be "of the people, by the people, for the people".

OR

you can just make the bottom row conform to accepted standards and stop making some lame ***, proprietary layout and keycap sizes.

Peace!

PS. The former would be cooler, though.

I am very much interested in this. Especially if corsair offers different colors.

I am waiting on the vortex backlit white keycaps that i ordered on massdrop. Sadly, the bottom row wont fit. :(

Suggestions:

1. Vortex posted on their FB page a picture of their backlit bottom row for non-standard keyboard such as corsair. Unfortunately, they havent updated that post in a while. Why not work with them? it might be cheaper since they already have the moulds for the keycaps.

https://www.facebook.com/Vortexgear/photos/a.863351087065936.1073741849.241720585895659/871734512894260/?type=3&theater

2. Make the bottom row standard so it's not a pain getting the specific caps from a full set.

3. Use PBT for the material.

Edited by Santibols

:biggrin:@ Santibols

I agree the backlit double shot pbt/pom keycaps from Vortex look amazing. Your suggestion for Corsair to work with them to make the keycaps is a great idea which surely from a business point of view would make the venture easier as they already have the moulds and experience.

Best

Wulf

i really like the idea, double shot keycaps should last forever, the 2 things to consider are, 1 using the correct material to let the light pass, some materials will degrade the quality of the color or change it a bit in an rgb keyboard since the light is not as strong as in a single color keyboard, and 2 using the correct font as not all the fonts can be done in double shot, the placement of little inserts for the letters like B, O, P, etc from a munufacture point of view will be imposible, a nightmare, or it will need to happen in 3 stages, 1 the outside of the key, 2 the letter itself, 3 the insert for the loops, and doing 3 stages with that much presicion is really really difficult

:biggrin:@ Santibols

I agree the backlit double shot pbt/pom keycaps from Vortex look amazing. Your suggestion for Corsair to work with them to make the keycaps is a great idea which surely from a business point of view would make the venture easier as they already have the moulds and experience.

Best

Wulf

IKR? :)

Well, as far as my research shows about keycaps, it's the mould that costs a lot. I think Corsair is trying to figure out the MOQ for this project hence this survey. Vortex having the mould ready will surely keep the price down. VOrtex just need a bit of a push from companies like corsair to get this project going. a lot of people are waiting for this. Heck i'll even organize a group buy for this if i have to.

Make it happen, Corsair. :)

IKR? :)

Well, as far as my research shows about keycaps, it's the mould that costs a lot. I think Corsair is trying to figure out the MOQ for this project hence this survey. Vortex having the mould ready will surely keep the price down. VOrtex just need a bit of a push from companies like corsair to get this project going. a lot of people are waiting for this. Heck i'll even organize a group buy for this if i have to.

Ayee! I've been waiting a while for the white Vortex PBT keycaps to come out. An added bonus with those is that they'll allow for light to come through. Partner up with them Corsair! Make it happen :laughing:

I think Corsair is trying to figure out the MOQ for this project hence this survey. Vortex having the mould ready will surely keep the price down. VOrtex just need a bit of a push from companies like corsair to get this project going. a lot of people are waiting for this. Heck i'll even organize a group buy for this if i have to.

@Corsair Henry

Is this something you could communicate to whoever is in charge of this project as a viable option? Seems to make alot of sense ;):

Best

Wulf

Ayee! I've been waiting a while for the white Vortex PBT keycaps to come out. An added bonus with those is that they'll allow for light to come through. Partner up with them Corsair! Make it happen :laughing:

If you want the white one, check massdrop. THe GB for that keyset ended like 3 weeks ago. They will start shipping by march. I think it'll be offered again after they ship all orders.

FAIR WARNING: the keyset has a standard bottom row and some people are saying that the backlight bleeds through the caps. :)

If you want the white one, check massdrop. THe GB for that keyset ended like 3 weeks ago. They will start shipping by march. I think it'll be offered again after they ship all orders.

FAIR WARNING: the keyset has a standard bottom row and some people are saying that the backlight bleeds through the caps. :)

Right, and the incompatibility of the bottom row is withholding me from buying. Vortex however announced compatibility with Corsair's non standard rows, so I'm patiently waiting for that.

• Corsair Employee
@Corsair Henry

Is this something you could communicate to whoever is in charge of this project as a viable option? Seems to make alot of sense ;):

Best

Wulf

Hello Wulf,

I'm on your side and would love to see this project come through as well. I will inform our PM about vortex and see what he says.

@Zheren159 - Not my project, but I want it to happen!

I'd be in for a set below $50USD, I'd expect to see doubleshot PBT

(ABS would be acceptable), backlit compatible.

(P.S. I think everyone would rejoice if the double legends were placed higher on the keys with double legends to we get better illumination. See the top row keys in this pic http://i.imgur.com/0WGkf8H.jpg)

I would want the font to be unchanged from the current one, but it would be cool to see a corsair sails logo for the windows key :) hint hint. Different color keysets would appeal to more people, but if not I would prefer Black/white (translucent) legends.