Corsair Community

H110i GT running hot!

Deadlock

Hi Everyone,

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I am an experienced builder but i am at a loss with this one :confused:.

Last week i installed a new CPU and Motherboard into my system. The 4790k and an MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard and i am using the H110i GT to cool things down but i appear to be around the 40°C mark at idle and it hit 100°C when tested with Intel Burn Test or the Stress test that comes with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I haven't tried Prime 95 yet. Room temperature is normal at around 24°C-28°C.

I have the H110i GT installed in my 750D case at the top of the case blowing hot air out. I have 4 intake fans installed at the front and at the bottom of my case and my r9-295x2 GPU is installed as the exhaust with two SP 120s. This is an older image of my case before the new motherboard and Ram (This is exactly how it is assembled now with the new Mobo and CPU):

IMG_0386.thumb.JPG.330575ee0c3389388a4c680c998e8bb6.JPG

I have triple checked that the back plate is correctly installed with the notches around the screws and i have checked all cables are correctly connected. The 3-pin fan connector is connected to the CPUFAN1 Header.

I am using Arctic Cooling MX-4 thermal compund and i have tried the pea method, the rice method and the X method but it does not seem to make much difference.

When i stress test the CPU for 10 minutes CPU Core 1 is always the hottest and is usually around the 92°C-100°C. Cores 2 and 3 are about 5-10 degrees lower and the 4th core sits at around 84°C-88°C.

For stress testing I have the Corsair Link Software configured in Performance Mode for the Pump and the Fans.

When i put my hand above my case where the hot air should be coming out the air is still cool.

I was getting these results at stock settings, before i had even had a chance to look at the bios.

Since then i have manually configured the system to run at a fixed 1.160 Core Voltage and a CPU ratio of 40 for 4GHz. I have also manually configured the ring ratio to 35 and the voltage to 1.200. It passes the stress tests and does not crash but is still very hot.

I have checked the readings on Corsair Link and when i stress test the CPU the H110iGT Cooler temperature climbs quite slowly from 28°C to 40 - 45 °C.

So my questions:

1. Can anyone who has a 4790k and a H110i run a burn test and see how high the H110i termperature climbs?

2. Should mine be climbing higher?

3. Why is the air which is blown out by the H110i still cold even though my CPU is HOT.

I am guessing this is either a problem with my CPU or a problem with my H110i GT.

I do not like the idea of de-lidding my CPU :(:.

Any input would be great. I might need a pair of fresh eyes on this problem.

Cheers

The water temperature shouldn't climb quite so quickly from 28C to 45C, but the cold air coming out the top is the real clue. At 45C water temp the exhaust air from the radiator should be considerably warm, the radiator warm to the touch, and the outflow hose as well. My best guess is you have some sort of obstruction between the pump and it's temp sensor, and the radiator. The water close to block is heating quickly with the limited flow. What gets past to the radiator is of a small enough volume that the water temperature (and the exhaust temp) isn't affected to the same degree. You need to exchange the unit, either through the end retailer or Corsair.

Thanks C-Attack.

Your reply struck some chords straight away:

Before i read this message, while my PC was switched on and being stress tested i opened the case to feel how hot the tubes are. Both the tubes are indeed hotter closer to the Block and I felt the radiator and it is also cold.

Is the H110i temperature sensor located inside the block? It's a shame there isn't one on the radiator so you can see if the heat is being taken away from the block.

So could the loop be blocked or the pump broken? Do you know if this happen often?

The Corsair Link software reports that the pump is still running at 3200rpm.

I don't have a spare cooling solution at the moment. I wish i hadn't thrown the stock intel cooler away. I would be able to use it to 100% confirm that the issue is with the H110i.

To the best of my knowledge, the temp sensor is inside the block assembly. If someone from Corsair can confirm that, great. However, since there isn't a an external wire and an internal wire in the tube would affect flow, I am confident it is in the block.

I assume a blockage since the you have a registered pump speed and I think you would notice if the pump was at a dead stop (silent and no vibration at all) or struggling to run (loud and lots of mechanical noise). It's not common to have a blockage and certainly not straight out of the box.

I've actually had the H110i GT for about a year now. It used to do a good job of cooling my i5-2500k which was overclocked to 4.8Ghz. I could easily feel the hot air coming out of the top of the case back then. It's only since i swapped out the CPU and Motherboard that there is no longer any hot air coming out the top.

I have managed to get my hand on a stock cooler from a mate. I'm going to plug it in and compare temperatures. If the intel stock cooler keeps it at the same temperature or lower than the H110i, i will try and get an RMA.

So i checked the temperatures with the Intel Cooler and they are at about the same termperature. it seems to have improved a little bit for my H110i GT but i still think temperatures are too high. Here are some screenshots:

Idle:

Idle.thumb.jpg.4fd7f75b7c472a2a383c791db2cb0418.jpg

1 Minute Burn Test:

72049069_1MinuteBurnTest.thumb.jpg.064e7253a904c44f695efe251b7b69b9.jpg

20 Minute Burn Test:

2015653160_20MinuteBurnTest.thumb.jpg.7a15060deaf920dbda9957896b68a277.jpg

My Pump temperature climbs to about 45°C after 1 minute and then levels out at about 48°C. My core voltage is at 1.1450 and i am at 4.4Ghz.

Hot air is still not coming out of the top of my case.

There is also quite a large temperature gap (10° C) between core 0 and 3.

What do you guys reckon? Is this too hot?

Even the best air cooler will be about 10C warmer than a H110 series. That is a significant restriction if you intend to stretch your voltage a little. There are some other benefits as well, particularly that the fans do not need to respond to immediate changes in CPU load. You don't get the fan revving up and down like an air cooler. As for installation, any AIO cooler is going to be a walk in the park compared to one of the large towers where you may to remove the motherboard from the tray to access the screws under all the piping.

I know I am a few days late but I to am having the same problem with over heating and I am not even trying to over clock my cpu. Would I really need to get a new cooler?

Does your water pump runs at 1500 rpm or so? Write down which Motherboard header it is connected to. Corsair Link will tell you the rpm.

The radiator fans should be connected to the motherboard CPU 4-pins header for the PWM speed control. The fans are rated at 2000 rpm full speed. They run between 800 to 1200 rpm on my H75 setup. The CPU temperature is 24°C low and 29°C max.

What are your pump and fan speed and the corresponding CPU temperature?

I know I am a few days late but I to am having the same problem with over heating and I am not even trying to over clock my cpu. Would I really need to get a new cooler?

It would be better to start a new thread with your details and some specific temperature information (CPU temps (idle/load), water temperature, room temperature, and any relevant CPU settings.

Does your water pump runs at 1500 rpm or so? Write down which Motherboard header it is connected to. Corsair Link will tell you the rpm.

The radiator fans should be connected to the motherboard CPU 4-pins header for the PWM speed control. The fans are rated at 2000 rpm full speed. They run between 800 to 1200 rpm on my H75 setup. The CPU temperature is 24°C low and 29°C max.

What are your pump and fan speed and the corresponding CPU temperature?

My cpu temperature goes from 30 and it increases greatly and I would be in the bios. But for some reason I get a check cpu header error message when turning on the computer every time and the 3 pin connector is on the header where it's suppose to go. I have a Asus Maximus Viii Hero motherboard, i7 6700k, Gtx 960 FTW edition and a Rm 850 watt psu. Also to note I'm not overclocking anything.

OK, so replacement H110i GT came and i installed it.

With my clock settings at 4.4GHz and 1.145 Core voltage my CPU did not exceed 50°C during a half hour burn test yesterday with the replacement.

I am now running at 4.9GHz at 1.320 (I could not quite get 5GHz stable) and my CPU does not go above 86°C when being stress tested.

I am using Demciflex filters on all intake fans and this is with FIVE intake fans hahaha. My R9-295x2 and H110i acting as Exhaust.

I noticed even with the overclocked burn test my H110i water pump temperature does not exceed 40°C and it climbs very very slowly now. It takes at least 15-30 minutes for it to climb to 35°C under load and the air coming out is no longer cold.

Thanks for all your help c-attack/Toasted

My cpu temperature goes from 30 and it increases greatly and I would be in the bios. But for some reason I get a check cpu header error message when turning on the computer every time and the 3 pin connector is on the header where it's suppose to go. I have a Asus Maximus Viii Hero motherboard, i7 6700k, Gtx 960 FTW edition and a Rm 850 watt psu. Also to note I'm not overclocking anything.

I know this is a silly question, but where has you got your radiator fans connected to?

Have you got them connected to the MB or the cables from the cooler?

Also some MB have multiple CPU Fan Headers, so you might have them in the wrong header, you might even have the power setting for the CPU Fan set wrong in the BIOS.

Paul

I have that motherboard and I found that my H110i GT would only stop that error when the signal wire was attached to the connector on the right of the 3 (I think that it's the Cpu_opt). I also make sure that the fans are connected to the pump.

Archived