Corsair Community

PSA: Corsair Link does not play nice with other sensors

jrgray93

TL;DR = last line

I've been using Corsair Link for my H100i GTX for quite some time. I just purchased an RM850i, ditching my old HX1050 for a more appropriate supply with better ripple and the like. Upon swapping to the new supply, Corsair Link would detect the sensors, monitor them for a split second, and give up. The RM850i sensors would then lock in to the displayed value and stop changing.

So I tried updating the software. I uninstalled, rebooted, and installed Corsair Link 4 (good timing on that release, by the way ;):). Corsair Link 4 decided it hated whatever was wrong and would freeze outright, causing the program to stop responding and force close.

After battling with this for a while, thinking it was a driver issue, I was about to assume it was a hardware fault, and go through the trouble of RMAing this thing. That would have been a major pain, considering the trouble I went through to remove the old supply and cable manage the new one. On that note, always test new hardware outside a case before installing it.

The last thing I was to try before giving up was to unplug the supply from the wall and let it cycle power. Alas, it worked. Or so it seemed. Link functioned fine and I played with it a bit before bed. However, the next day, it was back to not working. It would seem it was a fluke.

But hey, I solved it. Today, I found out what was wrong. I use HWInfo64 in tandem with some Rainmeter scripts I've assimilated into a secondary-monitor CPU / GPU / RAM usage and temperature readout. It turns out that when I swapped to the RM850i, this program detected a new device, acquiring new sensors for monitoring. This appears to create a conflict with Corsair Link, which is attempting to read the same sensors. I'm guessing my fluke fix was that Link loaded before HWInfo on that one startup, or perhaps HWInfo failed outright. I simply disabled monitoring of these sensors in HWInfo and Link hasn't failed since.

Long story short, Corsair Link does not play nice with HWInfo without disabling monitoring of the power supply sensors. It's safe to assume this conflict could exist with other programs as well.

HWiNFO should have warned you not to run CL if you are using HWiNFO to report CL hardware. Did it not do this?

SIV correctly interlocks access to CL hardware using the Global\Access_CorsairLink named mutex as do AIDA64 and HWiNFO so all three can report my CL hardware at the same time. CL does not. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=729115, http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=820892 and there used to be http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=792672 before Corsair deleted the thread.
Worst of all CL4 does not implement Global\Access_CorsairLink support :mad:
Honestly, the interlock is an issue that even I've run into.

There were no dialogue popups. Maybe I glossed over something upon the initial installation. I've had HWinfo set to start minimized sensors only with Windows for a long time now. I don't bother opening it, since Rainmeter directly reports to my second monitor as a desktop element.

It is entirely possible I have missed something. Just thought I'd share my experience. Maybe someone else will find this after googling the issue. I couldn't find anything useful to my problem :p:

edit: Just read your posts. Seems you've been aware of issues for a while longer than me, and you're far more informed on the technical aspects of the problem. Thanks for the heads up. I just hope someone finds this useful. we aren't all software engineers.

From the links you can see I have been trying to get this addressed for a long time.

If SIV detects CL is active it will automatically stop monitoring CL hardware, though you need the latest 5.07 Beta for it to detect CL4.

You could ask Tamas (AIDA64) and Martin (HWiNFO) what their utilities do.

I see. I hope this gets resolved, but I won't hold my breath. Until then, it's nice to know I was able to sort it out. Thanks for the insight into the extent of the problem. Perhaps I'll look more into this on the Hwinfo64 side of things, as suggested.

Archived