Corsair Community

6-pin to 8-pin PCI-E adapters. A reliable solution?

ZIGS

Here's the thing, I have a earlier model Corsair HX620W PSU, which only has 2 6-pin PCI-E power cables. I'm thinking about getting a GTX 980 ti, which requires two 8-pin connectors.

Wattage-wise, I should be fine (the official requirements for the GTX 980 ti is 600W) but I want to make sure using those 6 to 8-pin adapters will still deliver the required power. What do you guys think?

The model I want to get requires two 8-pin (it's from Gigabyte) although I might still get one from EVGA that requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin.

So you're saying one 6-pin and one 8-pin is fine but what about two 8-pin adapters in case I get the Gigabyte one? Will that still work fine?

Another thing: someone in another forum just told that, since my PSU is multi-rail (three 12V rails, 18A each), I should watch which rails it's using. How do I do that and what exactly should I look for?

Ok according to this thread http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91940, the PSU actually has a single 12V rail so that's one problem solved.

Another thing, I happen to have a power meter and I did some testing. My current card is a GTX 670, which has a power requirement of 500W and a TDP of 170W (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-670/specifications).

I unlocked the framerate on Fallout 4 and ran it. It maxed my GPU and almost maxed my CPU, which brought the PC's total power draw to 360W, but let's round that up to 400W just to be sure.

If my system with a GTX 670 (TDP 170W) consumes 400W max while gaming, switching it for a 980 ti (TDP 250W) should increase it to around 500W (accounting for overclock out of the box).

I know PSUs are more efficient when working at around 50% load but I don't care for efficiency so this should be doable, right?

Yeah, I remember back in 2007 when I was researching for a new PSU the HX620W got amazing reviews, I mean, nothing but praise. That's why I bought it, for future proofing.

So far, almost 9 years later, it's still running whisper quiet with zero problems but I can't help being a bit worried making such a big jump is power draw :|

UPDATE: I bought it!

Holy ****, the difference! Going from a GTX 670 to this beast was truly an experience, I'm still recovering from the shock.

The card is running fine btw. I fired up Arkham Knight (fully maxed) @1080p and I was getting 70-90 FPS with the card only reaching 60-65% of usage. It was destroying Arkham Knight without even breaking a sweat! Time to put DSR to use hehe.

I did notice one thing though. Under the above scenario, the whole system was pulling around 380W (since the card wasn't fully maxed) which was about the same as before with the GTX 670 (maxed) and with the speakers off, I could hear a bit of coil whine coming from the PSU.

It probably did that before as well but I just didn't notice then (once I turned on the speakers and played normally, I could no longer hear the whine).

Nevertheless, I'm sure in a couple of years when games start demanding the card's full power, the coil whine will become noticeable but by then I'll probably get a new PSU anyway but for now everything's fine and dandy

Another thing: someone in another forum just told that, since my PSU is multi-rail (three 12V rails, 18A each), I should watch which rails it's using. How do I do that and what exactly should I look for?

I dislike rails, they are obsolete and this is why I like Corsair, they work well and I have not been let down (lucky me :sunglasse)

Archived