Corsair Community

Bad memory or incompatible hardware?

jfine

Hello,

I purchased Corsair CMX512-2700C2 (PC2700, 512MB) for my PC and it has always worked great. My system is a Dell Dimension 4550 which is a P4 2.4G. It has an Intel chipset (no flames, please :roll:) and supports PC2700.

I recently purchased Corsair CMX512-2700C2PT (PC2700, 512MB) which has the same specs as my old one, except it has a silver heat spreader instead of the standard one.

When I put in the new memory and booted Windows XP, Norton would disable itself due to internal problems and I would consistently get BSODs after several minutes of system use.

I took out the new memory so only the old one remained, and everything worked fine. So then I took out the old memory and put only the new one in the same bank, and the crashes began again.

So I surmised the new memory was bad, and got it replaced from the retail store where I purchased it.

I thought everything would be fine, because I had never had memory problems in the past, but when I inserted this new-new memory -- I once again had crashes.

I was a little more savvy about memory at this point, so I ran MemTest86, and it reported errors on the new-new chip that I had inserted; my original, old memory was fine. I tried every possible combination of old/new memory in all the memory banks, and it was consistently just the new memory which MemTest86 reported errors on.

So...my question is: Did I just have extremely bad luck and get two defective memory chips? Or do I have a compatbility issue trying to use 2 sticks with the exact same specs? A friend of mine mentioned he had problems trying to use two memory sticks with the same specs because of dual channeling. As far as I know, my Dell Dimension 4550 does not support dual channeling.

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for the response. I did indeed try just the new-new memory, and I even tried both memory banks on the mobo.

Spec-wise my old memory and the apparently defective one are the same, although the versions are different. The new one is XMS2702v1.4 and the old one is XMS2702v1.2.

Is there an link or FAQ which describes how different versions affect compatibility? Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest we get both modules replaced. Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Warranty@corsairmemory.com. Or you can also use the On Line RMA Request Form as well.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to rma@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

I'm going to try exchanging with the retailer one more time, and if there is still a problem, I will try and have both replaced as you've suggested.

Now I'm at least hopeful this problem can be resolved, one way or another -- thank you!

Archived