Corsair Community

H110i GTX initial setup issues, very loud

MattChad

Hi all,

I've just got a new PC and this is the first water cooler system I've owned, the PC has a H110i GTX system. My initial impression of the cooler is one of disappointment if I'm honest, the noise coming from so loud that I am considering swapping it out and replacing with a stock CPU fan. This inst something I want to do of course, given its an expensive component, but with the noise levels as they are I cant hear myself think with it running - the system sounds as though a hover/vacuum is running in the room continuously.

I wanted to know if this is normal/to be expected by the H110i GTX given it has two 140mm fans?

Also if anyone has any suggestions/ideas that I could try to reduce the noise. I have installed Corsair Link software (which was painful to get working), and tried to toggle the fan modes but this is making no difference at all. Even if I toggle quiet mode/balance/performance the noise level does not adjust.

Any help and comments much appreciated.

Hi red-ray,

Thanks for your reply. I will update my PC spec now and update some CL screenshots this evening when I am home from work.

I have also followed you SIV guide, which I must say is an awesome piece of software, so if you would like I could attach some screenshots from this as well.

The first thing to do is see if the H110iGTX fan speed will change when you use PWM mode. Both CL and SIV should be able to do this and if neither can then I suspect there may be a hardware issue.

Note that for W10 you really should specify the build number as Build 10586 (TH2/V1511) has issues that Build 10240 (TH1) does not have!

I'll update the build information this evening (when home from work) along with some screenshots of current config in CL and some info from SIV. I did try amending the profile in both tools, but nothing changes noise wise - with the fans running in performance and quite mode I notice no reduction in sound what so ever.

As mentioned earlier today, here are the missing details that I said I'd add to this thread.

Windows build is 10586.63

To add to this, the fan speed will change in PWM mode, but wont allow me to take it below 40%. Its still to noisy for me at 40% (960RMP)

CL_quite_fan.thumb.gif.06c55172df4f130c9cdcb374c7ad0db7.gif

CL_quite_pump.thumb.gif.ce5b62b9aaaa3f5e4d61b5da1e317ce6.gif

drivers.thumb.gif.4b833f957824a4fd856237e33487d4b4.gif

SIV_link_devices.thumb.gif.fed53f1684fedb3444ae35d7c61c71fc.gif

SIV_link_fans.thumb.gif.d5d72da82427edf0892f4c96e46d7a7d.gif

SIV_link_status.thumb.gif.2537d358a1994f021e79ed64e9fc7d62.gif

SIV_system_information.thumb.png.63a90cdc16bfaf6ea0bcd2e78e30ec78.png

I suspect you need to set the Group to get CL to play ball. CL should default this, but CL is not that smart.

Looking at [Link Fans] the H110iGTX cooler fan speed is only 720 RPM so I can't see how this can be the case of the system being very loud.

SIV should report your HX1200i. Is the USB cable connected?

To add to this, the fan speed will change in PWM mode, but wont allow me to take it below 40%. Its still to noisy for me at 40% (960RMP)

CL is silly and forces a low limit of 40%. I feel this should be 25%, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=802644.

Thanks for the quick reply red-rey.

Is it possible for me to drop the fans below 720RPM, or to even stop them via link or SIV? Just to test out the noise difference as say 360RPM. I tried using SIV and profile 6 (see attached screenshot) but this had no effect in reducing the RPM below 720.

Even though CL and SIV show that the fan speed is only 720RPM, the noise its putting out is unbearable. If I force the fans to stop briefly by putting my finger on the centre of them briefly the silence is bliss.

As for the HX1200i, I'll check on that as you have a good point its not reporting.

SIV_custom_profile.thumb.gif.7e11b924d101e7b9757c0ee8753f10a1.gif

1. From the chart below 25% / 780 RPM is the minimum the hardware will allow.
  2. CL minimum is 40%
  3. Any value < 25% is the same as 25%.
  4. Corsair have been asked many times for 0% to stop the fan and to date have not released firmware that supports this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22690&d=1440595838

Even though CL and SIV show that the fan speed is only 720RPM, the noise its putting out is unbearable.

Maybe the fans are faulty

Thanks again for the information red-rey. You've been very helpful and I appreciate the time taken to help with my problem.

Sounds like this is as good as its going to get then in terms of noise then if I can't drop the RPM any lower. I'm starring to wonder if it could be an installation issue, and may take the PC back to the vendor and ask for the item to be swapped out. I know I keep complaining saying this, but I can't sit next to this machine with the noise levels as they are and I may have to switch away from a water cooler completely if this is the level of noise to be expected.

I've just notice something, which could explain the problem here. One of the radiator fans (the one nearest the back of the machine) is spinning much much faster than the other. Is this normal? Anyway to isolate the fan speeds individually?

If I set the PWM mode to 100% the RPM reports as 2400, only then does it visually appear that both fans are running at the same rate. Which would imply that one of my fans is stuck running at 100% constantly, and CL is only controlling and reporting the speed of the slower fan.

I FOUND THE ISSUE!! YESS

The power connecter for the rear radiator fan was not properly seated. I reseated this connection and rebooted to complete and utter silence BLISS!

CL now shows the RPM as 720RPM and the fans are quite as a mouse.

SOoooo happy I found this, as I was going to take the PC back to the shop to complain.

SOoooo happy I found this, as I was going to take the PC back to the shop to complain.

Good that it's resolved, but assuming the shop put the PC together in the first place I would be inclined to register a complaint about the build quality.

Issues like this are why I feel the Asetek AIOs are silly as they only have one fan controller so prefer the CoolIT H110iGT which has two and also far more functional firmware.

Yes, I'll be putting in a complaint to the retailer (Novatech) in this case who build PC and shipped it to me.

As I have now also noticed that the HX1200i does not even have the USB cable attached....however this could be a limitation of the number of USB header inputs my mother board has....

On that same note, the power supply fan isn't even running when I check, it will function when I press the test button.

this could be a limitation of the number of USB header inputs my mother board has....

That's easy to resolve, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759585 for two solutions.

On that same note, the power supply fan isn't even running when I check.

By design the PSU fan will not start until the PSU temperature is high enough. Given you have a 1200 watt PSU and only one GTX980Ti it may never start.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived