Corsair Community

No SP140L LED version?

Aglaophotis666

Does anyone know if there any plans to introduce an LED version of the SP140L fans that come with Corsair's AIO CPU coolers? (More specifically, a purple LED version?)

It seems like Corsair is the only company that makes a decent purple LED fan (AF or SP) and I find it rather baffling that the "L" version static pressure fans haven't replaced the normal version given how significantly better the specs are. I had to replace my H110i GT's stock fans for the inferior cooling power of the LED fans because I'm shallow and easily swayed by shiny things like that lol. The temps aren't "bad" by any stretch of the imagination (even overclocked) but I'd certainly prefer to have the LEDs WITH the superior radiator-cooling power of the SP140Ls.

If there are no plans to release Corsair's typical array of LED colors (*cough* PUUUURPLE *cough*) in the SP140L fan variant, consider this my official request to release them.

Unless I'm the only one?

Current draw is one of the problems. A 2000 rpm fan pulls of a fair amount of current. A 2000 rpm LED fan would pull quite a lot. It might be rather difficult to keep it under the magic 0.45A number that allows you to run two on a splitter on most modern motherboard headers (1.0A max). Also, I suspect they need to put out a traditional high performance SP140 in classic Corsair trim before they move on to LED versions. Hopefully, that one is one the way.

If current draw was indeed the issue, I'd still find it hard to believe that a few LEDs are the reason the SP140s have 2 less blades and almost 600 less rotations per minute. You'd think there would be some compromose between form, function and power consumption to be able to upgrade the LED fans we have now to perform closer to the SP140Ls even if they still don't perform QUITE as well because of the current needed to power the lights. The performance gap right now just seems way too noticeable to be blamed entirely on a few LEDs.

I guess what's really strange about this whole thing to me is that you can't even buy the gray SP140Ls anywhere other than the Corsair site as "replacement fans". I'm really just curious what the reasoning behind that could be. I mean, if Corsair is capable of making better fans, why wouldn't they want to sell as many of them as they could by making them more commercially available? A lot of people already love the SP140 version compared to other fans of their class, so wouldn't selling an upgraded version make people prefer them even more? Adding LED and/or colored versions on top of that would just give more people more reasons to buy Corsair's stuff. Everybody wins! (Except all the other fan makers I guess...)

So, yeah, release the NON-LED versions as well. Why not!? I'm all for more options!

Archived