Corsair Community

Possible Bad RAM Modules - Help!

uatu13

Hey, a few months ago I upgraded my system with two 512 Mb Value Select PC3200 Corsair RAM modules (VS1GBKIT400) and ever since then I've been getting blue screens of death fairly regularly. They seem to come when I'm really pushing my system with a demanding program (ie a newer game, movie editing software, etc). I've tried updating bios and drivers for pretty much everything on my system. The two warnings I get are either IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal and PFN_List_Corrupt. Searching the web I found that these errors were commonly caused by memory problems. I also ran Memtest86 and found that on test 5 a huge list of errors was generated for both of the modules. First off I'm wondering if there is simply some bios setting that could cause these problems? Currently I am not overclocking my system and the Dram has a frequency of 200 MHz (is this correct)? This has become an annoying problem since the blue screen of death is becoming more and more frequent. Any help or possibly an RMA would be appreciated.

System

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800 Mhz FSB 512 KB L2 Cache

ECS 648FX-A Motherboard

GeForce TI4200 Graphics Card

1 GB Corsair Valueselect PC3200 Ram

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (800 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%/1:1 ratio

Resulting Frequency: 400 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define/Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

all the settings were as you listed except for the tras (it was set to 6T). My mobo also had a feature calld Dram Addr/Cmd Rate, which was set to auto, do I need to mess with this? Also, I didn't see anywhere to change the DDR reference voltage; is this just a result of the settings given?

Anyways, even though I made the changes memtest #5 still spits out errors like there's no tomorrow and my computer crashes about once every 3 days (it never did this before the new ram). Can you offer any other suggestions?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
You might check with ECS about the Dim Voltage, if it's not in the bios it may be a jumper. And I would suggest it be set to 2.7X Volts. And you might test the modules one at a time to be sure it's not just a weak module.

• 2 weeks later...
You might check with ECS about the Dim Voltage, if it's not in the bios it may be a jumper. And I would suggest it be set to 2.7X Volts. And you might test the modules one at a time to be sure it's not just a weak module.

The mobo I use doesn't allow for the voltage to be changed (it's set at 2.5V constant), but why would this be a problem? When I bought this memory it says it was good up to 2.7 V (or whatever), that doesn't necessarily mean it requires this voltage. Also, I've tried every possible comination of memory and have had some weird results. Except for one instance, each of the memory sticks tested independently don't have any errors, but whenever they're used together errors fly like crazy out of Memtest's #5 test! The memory came as a matched pair, so I don't see why this would be happening.

I've been pretty much regularly getting system crashes with memory related causes and bizarre behavior with my programs I never had before. Hopefully we can get his problem resolved because quite frankly I'm regretting buying this memory.

• Corsair Employees

Let's try replacing your module, but failures in test 5 would suggest some other problem. And if you can I would suggest testing the module or modules in another system.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

What does failure in test 5 generally mean? They pass all the other tests fine in the general tests. It also seems especially strange that the memory problems are really only showing up when both modules are in. Thanks again for the help.

Archived