Corsair Community

HELP! Can't get TWINX4000 running in dual channel on P4P800

j18732

I have been running 2.4C @ 250FSB with TWINX3200LL running in dual channel with setting of 250/320 on P4P800 (1007Bios) for two months rock solid. I just purchased some TWINX4000 modules so I could run in 1:1 mode. When I first installed the modules, pc wouldn't boot so I searched thru the forums here and made some adjustments. Turned off Performance mode and MAM, set VDIMM to 2.75, CPU/MEM to 250/400, Memory timings at 3-4-4-8 and disabled USB legacy support. Booted into windows fine but would lock up immediately with any 3D app or benchmark program. I have tried each stick seperately in every slot without problems, both sticks in adjacent slots (single channel mode), again no problems. They will only work in dual channel mode @ 200/400, anything else is no go. I've tried raising the VCore and VDimm with no change. Should I RMA these modules or have I overlooked something?

I would try raising the Vcore to 1.55 or even 1.575 which is safe with stock cooling. Also, raise your AGP voltage to 1.6v as this will add some voltage to the chipset also. Also, don't use SPD. Set your timings manually to 3,4,4,8,8. You MIGHT be able to lower them later but use these until you get stable. Good luck, Mike.

Mike, Thanks for the suggestions, but I have already tried everything you mentioned. One thing I noticed is that with my XMS3200LL modules at 1:1 with SPD enabled, the timings are 2-2-2-6 according to CPU-Z, but at 5:4, they are 2.5-3-3-7 unless turbo is enabled and then they revert back to 2-2-2-6. Is this to allow for some inherent latency when running in asynchronous mode? Is this why my system won't boot with the PC4000 at anything but 1:1 since there is no margin to relax the timings from 3-4-4-8? I did follow your advice from a previous post and manually set the timings to 3-4-4-8, but the system refused to boot at any speed unless CPU/MEM was 1:1. Do you know if others have had success with this motherboard (P4P800 non-deluxe version) running at 250FSB or higher at 1:1 with the XMS4000 modules? All the posts I read were running XMS4000 in the deluxe version or a P4C800.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by j18732 [/i] [B]Mike, Thanks for the suggestions, but I have already tried everything you mentioned. One thing I noticed is that with my XMS3200LL modules at 1:1 with SPD enabled, the timings are 2-2-2-6 according to CPU-Z, but at 5:4, they are 2.5-3-3-7 unless turbo is enabled and then they revert back to 2-2-2-6. Is this to allow for some inherent latency when running in asynchronous mode? Is this why my system won't boot with the PC4000 at anything but 1:1 since there is no margin to relax the timings from 3-4-4-8? I did follow your advice from a previous post and manually set the timings to 3-4-4-8, but the system refused to boot at any speed unless CPU/MEM was 1:1. Do you know if others have had success with this motherboard (P4P800 non-deluxe version) running at 250FSB or higher at 1:1 with the XMS4000 modules? All the posts I read were running XMS4000 in the deluxe version or a P4C800. [/B][/QUOTE] It seems to be an emerging problem that the really high frequency RAM does not like the asynch modes. I believe you will have your best performance at 1:1 anyway with the possible exception being IF you could run 5:4 with your FSB over 300 which would still only put your RAM at 240 or DDR480. This is still underclocked and you'd have to get a FSB of 313 to even run the RAM at stock. So, if you can, I'd run the 1.1 IMO, not using asynch is no big loss. I have not seen anyone that I remember using or testing a NON-Deluxe model P4P800. However, it should run the same as a deluxe as it has the same chipset. I'm not sure if this helps. Post again if not. Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
After reading the forums and trying everyone's suggestions, I still couldn't get the memory to run successfully in dual channel mode so I decided to RMA the modules. The new modules I received worked a little better as I was able to get most benchmarks to complete, but there's still a problem. At any FSB over 230 I get display corruption in any 3D app. Everything runs fine in single channel mode, in fact I played all weekend @260 FSB with timings of 2.5-4-4-7 without a hiccup. I realize having memory that runs DDR520 is pretty nice..............but that's not what I paid for. I've upped voltages, monitored temps, changed every bios setting that I could possibly think of that might fix the problem without success. At this point I'm pretty frustrated, all the review sites rave about this memory and after my past experiences with the XMS memory (all great), I'm at a loss. Unless someone has an idea that I haven't tried, I can only think of two options. Try a different brand of memory or RMA the motherboard. J

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. I checked and rechecked all the bios settings and nothing made a difference. I also tried upping all the voltages, but no change there either. I had swapped the HSF on the CPU and GPU over to Swiftech watercooling and added a small fan to the NB because there wasn't any airflow in that area anymore. The thermal probe that I had attached to it was reading around 39C under load which I thought should be ok. Reading some of the other posts has convinced me that it's not the memory, so I decided to take Mike's advice and I sent the MOBO back today for a replacement. I'll post back when it comes in. J

I'd say is the motherboard too. Thing is, most of the late P4P800's seem to be of subpar quality. I don't know if it's a poor NB or the power section of the board or something else but surely it behaves differently that in most reviews.

A friend of mine had the P4P800 and had similar problems, he sent it back and got the P4C800 and all is well. I have heard tale that there is somewhat of an issue with the P4P800, not for sure if it is a manufacturing defect or a bios issue. I opted for Abit IC7-G and IC7-MAX3 boards and I am very glad that I did, although there are still some bios issues with these boards too that are being worked on. From what I know, from reading tons of forums and actually working with several 865/875 boards from different manufacturers is that there seems to be bios issues with all of them. It's starting to sound to me like a chipset issue more than anything. Hope all goes well with your new board.

Archived