Corsair Community

Possible RAM Problem (Asus A8V + VS512MBKIT400)

f300

Hi

I'm in the process of building a computer using VS512MBKIT400 RAM and am getting memtest errors.

Spec:

Athlon64 3000+ (rev D)

Asus A8V Deluxe (bios 1008)

VS512MBKIT400

Radeon 9700 Pro

After switching on for the first time I ran memtest. It reports the following error on test 2 (DIMMs in slot 1 and 3). This error is reported on every pass.

Failing Address: 0000a356d20 - 163.3MB

Good: ffffffff

Bad: fffffbff

Err Bits: 000004

Testing each stick individually (in slot 3 which is the slot that must be used for single channel mode according to mobo manual) produces no errors at all.

With the memory in Slots 2 and 4 there are no errors on tests 1 to 4, but many errors on test 5 (about 30 per pass from address around 480 to 511.5MB).

As the RAM seems to function fine individually I'm not sure what is causing these errors, bad ram or bad mobo.

Any insights appreciated, thanks :):

1008 is the latest bios, which is what the board was shipped with.

I've swapped the memory from my main rig (2x 256Mb Kingston DDR400) into the A8V board and it seems to be working perfectly, no memtest errors so far.

I'm testing the VS512MBKIT400 in my main computer (Asus P4C800) and am getting the same memtest errors: No errors when the dimms are installed individually but errors on test 2/3/4 in dual channel mode. Guess it's time to RMA the memory.

Thanks for your replies. Legacy USB was already disabled on both boards.

On the P4C800:

I've retested with the DIMM voltage at 2.75, still get errors on test 2/3/4 with both modules installed.

On the A8V:

Retested with the modules in slots 2 and 4, DIMM voltage set to 2.7. Gets very occasional errors on test 2, 3 and 4, but lots of errors on test 5. (When modules were installed in slots 1 and 3 i got NO test 5 errors, but many more test 2, 3, 4 errors).

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest you check your PSU in both cases. And you might find this post helpfull in knowing what size or how much power you need. However, I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived