Corsair Community

Xms2 5400

george2

I have an Intel 925XE board i am testing, in the BIOS in memory section is the option for '667' which is naturally 667 for the RAM speed.

This XMS2 is rated to that so chose 667 and the board no longer boots, have i damaged the RAM??

I would think not as normally things just hang, no excess volts were used just the 'Auto' setting. Now initially i thought it would be running 1:1, but since the SPD on these is 667 my guess is a RAM ratio kicked in and the RAM was trying to run way overclocked.

I have been in AMD land for quite a while, normally a board hangs or just needs a CMOS reset to get going, this board has NO CMOS reset just a jumper block which performs a similar, but not the same function.

This expensive stuff, i hope it is not cactus??

• Corsair Employees

The XMS2 5400 modules are rated to run at 667MHz, but enable for you to achieve this speed, you must either Over clock your CPU to 250 MHz, or have a 1066FSB, but for a 800MHz speed the default will be 533MHz. So to get your system back up and running; please clear the CMOS or Jumper Block in your MB; make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

Twin2X1024 or Twin2X512-5400C4

Advanced Chipset Feature

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 533 MHz

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 1.9 Volts

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
The DDR2 modules maximum memory voltage setting will be 2.1, and 1.9 volts will be the recommended settings for it; anything above 2.1 volts will automatically void the warranty. About the timing settings, you can always try to run the modules to whatever timing settings you wanted to try it to, however it is only rated to run at 4/4/4/12 for the model that you have on your system.

I've set it to 1.9v in BIOS as it overvolts to around 2v anyway, the CPU is not a good clocker so i'm restricted to around 300 Mhz on the FSB.

With no 3:4 ratio available on this board 600 Mhz DDR is all i'm going to see, pity that as i can't fully test the RAM to it's utmost. ;):

• Corsair Employees

300MHz should be more than enough, enable for you to achieve 675MHz you just have to clock the CPU at 250.

Guru Utility

CPU Freq: 200

CPU:DRAM Ratio: 4:5

PCI Express Frequency: 100 locked

PCI Clock: 33.33 MHz

NB Voltage: 1.9 volts

System performance: Auto

Advanced/Chipset

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• Corsair Employees
Okay then 300 MHz maybe too much, you can try to set the ratio at 1:1 speed, if you have a problem to a 4:5 ratio. Please let us know how you make out, and if you have any other question or concern please do not hesitate to post back; we will be more than happy to assist you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

Guru Utility

CPU Freq: 266

CPU/DRAM Ratio: 5:6

PCI Express Frequency: 100 locked

PCI Clock: 33.33 MHz

NB Voltage: 1.9 volts

System performance: Auto

Advanced/Chipset

• 1 year later...

Archived