Corsair Community

Is this indicative of bad RAM?

BeOnTheWeb

I have two systems. One has 2 sticks of CMX512-3200C2PT memory, the other 2 sticks of CMX512-3200XLPT memory.

I downloaded and ran CPU-Z today to check the readings and noticed that on the SPD tab the readings seem to be erratic.

I have attached some sample CPU-Z screen prints from both the C2PT and the XLPT sticks.

What is going on here? Does this indicate that the memory may be faulty?

My C2PT rig details are shown in my signature.

My XLPT rig details are:

My Development Rig

* ASUS A7N8X-Ev1.1 Deluxe, BIOS 1013 (ASUS Final)

* AMD Athlon XP3200+ Retail, 200MHz, Standard AMD supplied Heatsink/Fan

* Corsair 1024TwinX-3200XLPT, XMS3208v1.2, 200MHz, 2.7v, Slots A1+B1

* Adaptec 39160 SCSI card

* 2x 73Gb IBM SCSI Hard Drives

* GeXcube Radeon 9200SE, 128Mb

* 450W Jeantech power supply

* 2x 120mm Case Fans, 1 Front(In), 1 Rear(Out), Variable Speed

* Windows XP Professional, SP2

Thanks.

what1.JPG.6138fc86c338b30d13c5449085ea56fa.JPG

what3.JPG.768dd9e59225791ea5c199b1d26dc8aa.JPG

what1.JPG.b79bddd1f213415d4bc398b348e34925.JPG

what3.JPG.1746786718d68481e8014063611df06f.JPG

what4.JPG.6fec1811432dbc2d7f956e8e929a4818.JPG

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have, respectively along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have, respectively along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

C2PT Rig:

Mobo: ASUS A7N8X Rev2, FSB 133MHz.

CPU: Athlon XP2000+, Frequency 133MHz, Multiple 12.5x, Vcore 1.600v.

Memory: Dual Channel, 6-2-2-2T (Optimal), Memory Frequency Auto, Reference Voltage 2.7v

XLPT Rig:

Mobo: ASUS A7N8X-E Rev1.1, FSB 200MHz.

CPU: Athlon XP3200+, Frequency 200MHz, Multiple 11x, Vcore 1.650v.

Memory: Dual Channel, 5-2-2-2T (Optimal), Memory Frequency 100%, Reference Voltage 2.7v

In BOTH the above cases, I have increased the AGP VDDQ Voltage to 1.6v.

No other performance changes.

• Corsair Employee
With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the timings manually and DO NOT set any of the performance options other than whats needed to set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-5 with the Rass to Cass set to "3", assuming you have the latest bios version. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org. And I would maybe try Everest 1.5 to look at the SPD's and check for the latest Chipset drivers and updates for CPU-Z.

... DO NOT set any of the performance options other than whats needed to set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-5 with the Rass to Cass set to "3", assuming you have the latest bios version. And I would maybe try Everest 1.5 to look at the SPD's and check for the latest Chipset drivers and updates for CPU-Z.

2-3-2-5 ... HELP!!! ... Which one is which?

I have the following BIOS options available (along with guesses for values!):

Active Precharge Delay - 5 ?

RAS to CAS Delay - 3 ?

RAS Precharge Delay - 2 ?

CAS Latency - 2 ?

Also, where do I get Everest 1.5?

Thanks.

BIOS settings changed as recommended.

Downloaded and installed Everest 1.51 Professional trial (need this version because I am running a domain - some information is suppressed).

Downloaded and installed the latest release of CPU-Z (v1.26).

Results:

* Memtest86 ... Ran for 9 passes ... no errors. But I wasn't getting any errors before using previous 2-2-2-5 settings anyway.

* CPU-Z ... still reporting inconsistent data e.g. Module size, Manufacturer, Part number, SPD Timings etc., etc. Don't understand this! Now reporting one of the CMX512-3200XLPT modules as NEC, 192MBytes!!!??? Last time they were Samsung!

* Everest 1.51 ... great tool! Never heard of it before ... but seems to be reporting correct data.

Is there something in particular you wanted me to look at in Everest 1.51?

Have we proven anything yet?

• Corsair Employee
Well we can try and replace the modules, but both programs get the Module maker by a Binary code in the SPD, and they would translate this to the right maker that is registered with JEDEC. As far as I know there is no problem with either program and as long as your system is running with out problems I would not worry about it.

Well,

Wired:

I have downloaded another copy of CPU-Z and I am still getting a variety of readings on the SPD tab. Wierd huh!

Could this be a mobo issue?

RAMGUY:

Thanks for offering to replace the modules but, as you so rightly said, I have not experienced any stability or other problems with the modules up until I noticed this "feature". I am hoping this record will continue, and unless I do experience any "real" problems I don't see any real reason to invoke the RMA procedure - it's just a cosmetic (and confusing) thing at the moment. I'll just have to re-start CPU-Z until it gets it right (it does now and then), or I could use Everest 1.51 instead! although CPU-Z seems to be suggested very often in the forums as the tool to use.

Can you explain why you suggested a RAS to CAS of "3" instead of the SPD value of "2" for the XL modules? and also, are the settings I am using for my A7N8X board (2x CMX512-3200C2PT) as they should be or would you recommend any changes there?

As always, thanks to all for your assistance with this.

• Corsair Employee
With XMS3200XL if the system is stable at Cass 2-2-2-5 then there should not be any problem running them at that setting. But the reason I suggested you set the Rass to Cass to "3" was some MB's just will not run stable with it set to "2". And yes the timings for XMS3200C2 would be Cass 2.5-3-3-6, so as long as your system is stable I would leave it alone.

Archived