Corsair Community

bad stick in 512mb dual channel kit

MechCD

I think I have a bad stick of ram that came in my ValueSelect 512mb Memory Module Kit. I tried to run dual channel on my MSI K8T Neo2, but it will not post in any configuration suggested in the manual. Neither stick works by itself, they cause Windows XP to BSOD before loading. I will run memtest86 as soon as i get the disk made.

The sticks in question is are 256 single sided sticks. the PN for the kit is VS512MBKIT400C3 and is recommended by the Corsair website for my motherboard.

It boots fine with both sticks in the same channel. Only 256mb is detected in this setup however. I have tried both channels with the same result.

• Corsair Employees
That might suggest that the bios you have is not seeing your CPU properly. Do you have a 90nm CPU? If you do you will need to get the latest beta bios from MSI. In addition, to verify you do not have a bad module if you can I would test them in another system one up.

I will try the latest BIOS

I do have a 90nm CPU

It is detecting it as a 2ghz (3200) which is correct.

I don't really have access to another system that uses DDR except at school and our tech guy has been gone for weeks :(

• Corsair Employees
I would try the latest beta bios which should be posted on MSI's user forum and then test the modules one up. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

The update got it running w/ both sticks, but now it refuses to operate at DDR400. It is currently set to deafults which sets the speed by SPD (acording to the manual)

Thanks for the tip. I didn't have much of a chance to work on the system until recently.

• Corsair Employees

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Warranty@corsairmemory.com. Or you can also use the On Line RMA Request Form as well.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to rma@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

• 4 months later...
Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Warranty@corsairmemory.com. Or you can also use the On Line RMA Request Form as well.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to rma@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

They worked for a while and it just started crashing again yesterday. I ran memtest again and sure enough it starts failing like crazy after around the 30th pass.

I have the CAS set as previously mentioned, the memory voltage is up to 2.7. Absolutely nothing has changed since I got the warranty sticks. It always did seem buggy but I lived with it until now.

It runs with one stick in any slot, but won't even boot in a non-dual channel config. With both sticks in either bank, I get a memory POST error. I tried slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 for dual channel and both result in massive amounts of crashes.

I really hope its not the ram and that I'm missing a CMOS setting. I could not find "set memory Frequency to limit/2-1"

Heres a list of what i have set under Cell Menu -> DRAM Settings;

DRAM Clock Mode: Manual

Memclock value: DDR400

CAS Latency: 2.5

Burst Length: 8 Beat

Bank Interleaving: Disabled

Active to CMD(Trcd): SPD

Active to Precharge(Tras): SPD

Precharge to Active(Trp): SPD

DRAM 1T Timing:Dsiabled

• Corsair Employees
We can try replacing the modules if you like, but that would suggest some other problem, like a weak or failing chipset or PSU. Can you test the modules in another system?

We can try replacing the modules if you like, but that would suggest some other problem, like a weak or failing chipset or PSU. Can you test the modules in another system?

I don't think the sticks are bad, I just wanted to verify the ram settings to be sure.

I will try swapping sticks with a friend shortly.

The power supply has been swapped as well, no change. Hopefully the motherboard isn't shot, I didn't get more than a 30 day warranty on it and it has been far more than 30 days. I may not have emphasized it very well in the other reply, but i had been getting wierd errors all the time but it never bothered me until XP corrupted my hard drive. That suggests to me that I did something wrong with my settings. I just don't know what.

Are there "more safe" settings for Tras, Trcd, and Trp?

• Corsair Employees
I would just load optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the system with http://www.memtest.org and you can let it run over night. But if you get random errors after an extended period of time like you described before that might suggest a heat and or power problem.

Archived