Corsair Community

Asus P5AD2 Premium and Corsair 5400

Zzap

I have a some questions wrt. the compatibility of Asus P5AD2/PREMIUM and Corsair DDRII TWIN2X1024-5400C4.

First off:

1) I'm a newbie wrt. memory so please explain it to me as I'm a two year old

2) I'm planning to use this with a Pentium 4 3.6GHz

3) I have no plans to overclock the system

Here are the questions:

- Can I use the 5400 modules with the P5AD2/PREMIUM board?

- How come Corsair / RAM Guy recommend the 5400 modules (which I figure is DDR2 675 - correct?) when the Asus documentation only specifies DDR2 533/400 non-ECC memory?

- Can I use the 5400 modules with the P5AD2/PREMIUM board without overclocking anything (According to TomsHardware the the P4 3.6 is sensitive to heat so I'm not inclined to overclock)?

- If I have to overclock something to use the RAM will that in someway affect the CPU so it gets hotter?

• Corsair Employees

First thing question or statement 3 supersedes all others. That being said if you do not want to over clock the frequency I would suggest you use VS1GBKit533D2 and save your self a few dollars. Plug and Play and you done!

However, if you do want faster memory and do not want to over clock the frequency I would suggest Twin2x1024-4300C3!

First thing question or statement 3 supersedes all others. That being said if you do not want to over clock the frequency I would suggest you use VS1GBKit533D2 and save your self a few dollars. Plug and Play and you done!

However, if you do want faster memory and do not want to over clock the frequency I would suggest Twin2x1024-4300C3!

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I have to confess though that I had already ordered the system described before noticing the different recommendations and the system has been shipped to me.

I *can* ofcourse return the 5400 and order the suggested 4300 but I'll keep the 5400 if I can use them with my motherboard.

I have no problems with overclocking as such (especially with good memory as Corsair) and I will overclock if I have to but I don't feel that the CPU itself (P4 3.6GHz) is something that I want to get much hotter than "normal".

What I'm saying is that I'm ready to blow away some dollars by just keeping the 5400 and not using it to the full potential *if* I'm able to use them without the risk of destroying the P4.

I'm therefore still very much interested in knowing:

- if I can use the 5400 modules with the P5AD2/PREMIUM board

- and if so, does that involve settings that will get the CPU in the dangerzone and thus requiring a special CPU fan instead the supplied Intel fan

- and furthermore, what BIOS settings will be required (if default cannot be used)

- if I can use the 5400 modules with the P5AD2/PREMIUM board

Yes, they'll underclock to DDR2-533 speeds if you do not overclock the system.

- and if so, does that involve settings that will get the CPU in the dangerzone and thus requiring a special CPU fan instead the supplied Intel fan

Only if you want to run them at DDR2-675 1:1, but there ARE other options.

- and furthermore, what BIOS settings will be required (if default cannot be used)

Actually, I believe the AI Overclocking (automated overclocking options in the BIOS) will allow you to use DDR2-600 or DDR2-675 with only a 5% overclock on the system (which wouldn't kill your CPU) or you could mess with your ratios and see what comes up.

PLUR

CK

Yes, they'll underclock to DDR2-533 speeds if you do not overclock the system.

Brilliant!

That was exactly what I was hoping for. :biggrin:

I read on Asus' webpage that they do support DDR2-600 so that would seem like an obvious first step for me when I get a little better acquainted with what would be "normal" operating temperatures for the system (especially the P4).

Btw I saw that the socalled latency for the 4300 is 3-3-3-8 which is supposed to be faster than the 4-4-4-12 for the 5400.

The (both real and OC) bus speed is faster on the 5400 though, so how far would you guess that I would have to overclock the 5400 so they would run as fast as the 4300 - or would that never happen?

Archived