Corsair Community

I think my ram is bad

GlitchOfDoom

Ok I've had this ram for about 5 months (Model #: CMX512-3200C2), I never thought to check to see what the ram timings were set at. It has been set for 3-3-3-8 this whole time. I changed it to the reccomended 2-3-3-6 and now I get constant errors in games that cause the program to crash. I ran prime95 and it wouldn't even pass the first test, so I changed it back to 3-3-3-8 and it passed all the tests for an hour. I have always ran my computer at 200Mhz FSB and the voltage has always been 2.6v on the ram.

Athlon XP-M 2500+

Abit NF7-S r2.0

1x Corsair PC3200 512Mb XMS

I would be happy to provide any other information you may need to help solve my problem. Thank You

Try 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.7 or 2.8v. Also, that CPU has a 333 Mhz FSB. Are you running the mem and FSB in sync @ 200 Mhz?

Running 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.8v. My CPU is running at 200x10. And the ram is in sync 6/6 (400Mhz). I still get crashes within 2-5min playing any games (Halflife 2, World of Warcraft) Prime95 still fails at Test 1.

Here are the prime 95 results:

[sun Nov 28 16:34:51 2004]

FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 2.203312282717318e+016, expected: 2.203311203942331e+016

Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Testing with Memtest86+ after this, will post results in a second.

908 errors all on test #5. 6 passes.

I beleve you ment 200Mhz FSB processor. I don't have a true 200Mhz FSB processor. What more do I need to proove that my memory is bad? I could run my processor at default (133) and run the ram async (200). If that would help, but I am confident that my processor is fine, seeing that if I change the timings to 3-3-3-8 that my problems go away. But if corsair says the ram should run at 2.5-3-3-6 then why should I suffice with 3-3-3-8?

I am now running 133x14 @ 1.45v. That is the default for my processor. And im running the ram at 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.8v. The ram is async 4/6 200Mhz (DDR400).

I am still getting errors in memtest86+. 24 errors in Test #5 in the first pass.

Suggestions or RMA?

Thank You for your replies Wired BTW :)

• Corsair Employee

I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and the memory Frequency should be in sync with your CPU. I would try these settings and work your way up from there.

CPU Freq: 133 Mhz

Memory Freq: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 133 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then test with http://www.memtest.org, if that pass then try and set the CPU to 166 MHz

CPU Freq: 166 Mhz

CPU Multiplier: 11

Memory Freq: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

If both of these settings work it may be that your CPU will just not run at 200 MHz on this MB. The Athlon XP-M 2500+ was made for notebook and runs at 133 Mhz by default.

If the memory is supossed to run at DDR400 then why should I declock it and run sync at 133 (DDR266)? The memory should run at DDR400 and 2.5-3-3-6 timings, if not then its defective. I ran my CPU at 133x14 @ 1.45v that is the default setting, I still got errors. I ran my CPU at 133x14 @ 1.7v, I still got errors.

Not to say that your not doing your job fast enough RAM GUY, your doing great, but you would think corsair would have more than one person working on these RMA threads. It has taken two days now just disscussing whats wrong.

The Athlon XP-M 2500+ was made for notebook and runs at 133 Mhz by default.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-401&depa=0

Ya. Also, boo-boo on my part earlier, didn't see the mobile part there. Either way, the same diags apply. AMD systems are notorious for not liking to run async, and just because they have at one point doesn't mean they always will.

Ultimately if you test the memory in sync with the CPU @ 133 (266 DDR) and it fails, then it's definitely the memory. Any tests in async mode may give fake errors due to being async, and running the CPU @ 200 Mhz may give the same fake errors due to it not being a true 200 Mhz CPU, regardless of it's potential.

Also, you posted on a Sunday, when they are closed. He answered Monday, and within 24 hours. Also considering he's answering them based upon whom posted first and there's a minor backlog because of the extended weekend due to Thanksgiving, I think he's answering them pretty quickly.

• Corsair Employee

GlitchOfDoom

First I have no problem replacing your modules, and you are welcome to follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, based on what you have posted and the basic limitations of this platform the problem may be with the configuration. This table may help you with this as well.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

Thank you RAM GUY I will try running sync at 133 (266DDR) before I send it in, but I bought this memory because it supports DDR400 I am very sure that it is the memory. Thanks for your help and again I didn't mean that you were slow at your job I just think there should be two people handling this forum to keep so much of a load off of you.

:D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin:

;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D:

:cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;):

:biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool:

:D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin:

;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D:

:cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;):

:biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool: :biggrin: :D: ;): :cool:

Archived