Corsair Community

Fault ram stick.

h2z

I have been using Corsair's TWINX 512MB PC3200LL memory for almost two years, when i started noticing frequent errors especially when trying to install proggs usign the windows installer. Several install attempts led to RANDOM errors and at that point i started suspecting something was wrong with the memory so i ran the memtest tool (from memtest.org) with both sticks and came to a conclusion that the memory was the culprit. Having done that, i started testing each stick at a time and came upon the faulty one.

Errors repeated on the same stick with different sets of timing starting at 2-2-2-5 up to 3-3-5-8. Voltage increments didnt help either.

Having known how high temp in my country (Israel) can be, the memory has never been overclocked past its intended frequency (400mhz).

I read the warrenty FAQ and decided to call my retailer (http://www.pandas.co.il) but they refuse to help saying their warrenty lasts only 1 year (jerks!).

Should i send an RMA request? :(:

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have and the CPU speed and its FSB?

In addition, please tell me the bios settings you had set for both CPU and memory!

MOBO: Abit NF-7 version 2.0

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (133/266 fsb)

CPU Core Voltage - 1.6V

DDR Sdram Voltage - 2.6V

Memory timing - 2-2-2-6

Each memory stick was tested on ALL THREE SLOTS.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the memory freq. at 125% or at DDR333. If you try to run the memory at DDR400 with that CPU it will cause a bottleneck in the Chipset and may generate errors that are not the fault of the memory. Or I would suggest testing them on another system. In addition the timings should be set to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

Please set the memory freq. at 125% or at DDR333. If you try to run the memory at DDR400 with that CPU it will cause a bottleneck in the Chipset and may generate errors that are not the fault of the memory. Or I would suggest testing them on another system. In addition the timings should be set to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

Tried it all, plugged in the stick, didnt work.

Ran memtest and it was all faulty again.

What now?

Archived