Corsair Community

Bad RAM...

mec24

Had 512MB of 2x256TwinX-3200LLPT installed on my system for about 7 months, decided to upgrade to 1GB. So I bought a single 512MB stick of 3200LLPT, system was running perfectly fine before adding the new RAM.

At first, I just popped the new RAM in, and went right to windows. I didn't uninstall or reinstall anything, because I didn't think RAM and chipset/video drivers have any relation. Just a couple minutes ago, I went through and uninstalled/reinstalled the latest NForce2 drivers and video card drivers. I'm going to leave my pc up, and do alittle bit of gaming on it...and hope it doesn't happen again.

Errors are random, and aren't reproducable through certain actions. Had one that said IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something along those lines, and didn't list a driver extension. And had another one that just gave a driver extension of "win32k.sys".

Ran Memtest for a couple passes (had all 3 of the modules in at the time), and pulled up 2-3 errors on Stride6 tests. I don't see the sense in testing the RAM one by one, because i tested the twins when I got them. And like I said, i wasn't getting BSOD's before this new stick of RAM. But if i get another BSOD I'm going to remove the dual channel sticks, and test the new stick alone.

Any ideas?

Mobo -- Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev2, bios 1007 final.

CPU -- 2500+XP Barton @ 3200+ / 400FSB.

Ram settings are all on "optimal", Both AGP/FSB Spectrum BIOS options are disabled. Not even sure what they do, the only options are percentages, not enabled/disabled. All voltages are stock too...

Edit #1 -- Got a BSOD when trying to enter World of Warcraft, "Page_Fault_in Non-Paged_area".

Edit #2 -- Took the new RAM modules out and inspected them carefully. I compared it to the TwinX's, here's the #'s I got from them.

TwinX 256x2 -- CMX256A-3200LLPT, XMS3205v1.2, 0340121.

512MB (new stick) -- CMX512-3200LLPT, XMS3205v3.1, 0439105-2.

Could those version numbers be causing some sort of conflict??? That's the only thing that looks suspect to me.

I removed the new stick, and I'm back to normal, with no BSOD's. I'm wondering if I made a mistake by buying 2x256, will I not be able to upgrade to 1GB as long as i have those 2 in the dual channel?

If you need any other information let me know...any help would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

I would agree, but since they are not all matched you might have to relax the timings to make the system stable.

You might try Cass 2-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the memory Freq at 100% and you might try setting the CPU multiplier to 9 or 10 to make sure it's not the CPU topping out!

I tried your settings RAM GUY, it made the computer much more stable. The amount of bluescreens dropped dramatically, but I'm still getting errors. I got 1 BSOD in about an hour or so of uptime, as opposed to one every 5 minutes.

I ran memtest with the new 512MB stick in by itself, in single-channel mode. And it brought up a few errors in the same test as before (Stride6). My original 2x256 sticks have zero errors when tested one by one.

I'm back to my old 2x256's now...because i'm just sick of dealing with the BSOD's.

What do I do from here, it's not like I can just return the new stick to ZipZoomFly...because they'll just send me back an identical one, that will have the same conflicts. Do you guys even still make XMS3205v1.2 sticks???

Could always try 3-4-4-8 @ 2.8v. Dunno about the stock in hand.

I put the stick back in and figured i'd give this a try...

Same results as the settings RAM GUY suggested, more stable than before...but still errors :mad:

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and that you have the 512MB module on slot/DIMM 1 and the 2*256MB (TwinX512) on DIMM 2&3, and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

CMX512-3200LL with TwinX512-3200LL

CPU Freq: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

CPU Freq: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

Okay, running with these settings I'm perfectly fine. No errors in memtest, and no BSOD's in windows. How much of a performance hit am I taking not being able to run in 200mhz/400FSB though???

Archived