Corsair Community

Asus says it may be the RAM

karivian

I just built a p4 3.0, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, TwinX1024 3700, sata (raid 0) 80 gig seagates, AIW 9800 pro, FDD, samsung cd/rw/dvd. On first power up, the bios came up and I made configured raid 0 using intel utility. Bios read 1024 of ram, samsung, fdd, seagates (in 3 and 4) and saved and exited. After reboot, it finished with just a flashing cursor in top left corner, BUT it was not a dos prompt. No OS is installed yet. I did not change any ram settings or anything else. I <ctrl><alt><del> and set entire bios to default and deleted RAID 0. Oh, bios DID see the raid config. After reboot, got the same thing....just the cursor. No other keys worked besides <ctrl><alt><del>. I tried booting with the ASUS utility disk in the drive but nothing. So I thought maybe the cd/rw, so I put the XP Pro install disk in it and it started to set up windows, but then said hard drives not installed. I called ASUS tech and they said to get an RMA after I put the ram in another mobo to see if the ram was not defective. I dont have another mobo to install the ram in to test. Is there any chance the ASUS tech is correct in that the RAM is defective? I am lost and need some help.

Update: I reset the CMOS and I got three beeps, meaning a "Main memory read/write test error". But the bios reads the ram as being there. Just to be sure, I put on 512 ram in at a time and the bios read that too - both chips individually. I dont think it is the RAM. I also get these errors after bios exits: "No drive attached to FastTrak controller" and "No bios installed" I can't get to the Windows XP loading part. I just get a flashing cursor and I can either reboot or watch the cursor flash. If it isnt the motherboard then I am totally lost. Heck, I am totally lost anyway. In answer to your question, I cant get to windows. I can only change the raid configuation by bios and then rebooting and hitting <ctrl><I> during POST. I tried loading the cd in the drive and it want to setup, but says windows cannot locate a drive. I tried it with raid 0 and without a raid 0. I am pretty new at this so any help is greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...
[QUOTE]"No drive attached to FastTrak controller" and "No bios installed"[/QUOTE] That is the same problem I am getting. The BIOS has the drive listed, but it won't boot up. P4C800-E Deluxe Hard drive is a Maxtor 5T060H6, which worked fine previously. Is there any solution to the above problem?

• Corsair Employees
First off if you suspect the memory please use [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to test the memory, but you must disable USB Legacy support in the bios when running this program. Also I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the timings manually to Cass 3-4-4-8. Also if you are over clocking you will need to lock the AGP/PCI so they do not over clock the PCI buss. But most likely it’s just a setting as this MB is a bit confusing for setting the Raid options. You might try [url]www.asusforums.org[/url] to help you with the correct bios settings for the configuration you have if the system will pass [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]

Archived