Corsair Community

HL2 Crashing Problems

homer

Well i bought memory for hl2, VS512MB333 PC2700 512MB 64Mx64 184 DIMM, i had CS:Source before i had my memory and hl2 and everything worked fine then, then when i put my memory in for hl2 and started playing, after a while my pc will crash and shutdown, but right before it does it shows some blue screen i cant c, i really need help, it only seems to crash on steam programs after i put the memory down, we have updated all the drivers i could find but everytime it comes up with the Microsoft Crash Analyis it says:

A device driver installed on your system caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:

* If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your system, the problem might be caused by the driver for the device. If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.

Someone please help, do i need a driver or what????

I am having a similar problem with the exception of replacing the RAM.

I just built the system p4 3.2 with p4c800-e Deluxe 800 MHZ.

I can play hl2 for about 7 to 8 minutes and then the computer just shuts down. I have to remove the power cable and reset the psu before it will come back up.

I ran 8 passes with memtest on ea RAM stick (XMS3200C2 512 x 2 2-3-3-6-8 2.85 voltage) and it showed no errors.

I thought it may have been an audio problem because I disabled the onboard (AC97) in the bios and played for about 30 minutes without crashing. So I installed a new soundcard (SB LIVE) and it crashed again after about 7-8 minutes.

I can run Call of Duty : UO for as long as I want.

After each time it crashes the PSU is pretty hot to the touch.. (420 w psu in Mutant X case.)

Do I need a larger PSU? I am looking to buy a 500 w PSU anyhow.

As of now I cleared all my HL2 files and am dling it again to see if perhaps it is a problem with the game files itself.

I will check back with my findings.

In the meantime, any help would be appreciated.

Ok, thanks for responding, my motherboard is a First International Computer, Inc. AD11, my cpu is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53 Ghz. and it is mixed with a SpecTec Incorporated DDR-SDRam PC2100 - 256 Mb

If u need anything else just post it, thanks and im bout to try waht ram guy said

hallowed, its the same for me, i tried to play halo and i could play as long as i wanted with out a crash, but with any steam program it crashes, even the sdk, i think it might be steam actually, once u get back to me on your findings ill c if it helped and i might reinstall everything

Yes, remove the other memory to be safe, although with that last comment, you probably have a corrupted cache file in Steam, known issue I believe.

http://www.steampowered.com/?area=news

A small number of Half-Life 2 customers have been experiencing problems while playing the game, and we have traced these issues to corrupt Steam cache files. We've released a Steam update to help resolve these issues. If you have been experiencing problems such as crashing during gameplay or startup of Half-Life 2, please restart Steam and then click on one of the links below. Steam will then automatically verify your cache files. The verification process will take roughly five minutes to complete.

To validate Half-Life 2 click here

To validate Counter-Strike: Source click here

To validate Half-Life: Source click here

We're also investigating a solution for the sound skipping problems a small number of users are running into. We'll have a solution for this as soon as possible.

I really think it's Directx to be honest, or specifically a directsound bug in hl2.

I redowned the game and had the same issues.. I updated my sound drivers and same issue.

I am now trying to go back to Direct x 9.0b and see if that does anything.

ok, well i was putting just the corsair memory in and when i did the monitor wouldnt work, i have no idea why but then i put in the 256 stick and it worked fine, ill try again but yesterday our power was out all day and today is thanksgiving so i want have time

::Edit::

Tried again and now everything works fine, i switched the slots and everything is fine, now im gonna put the 256 in the 2nd slot and hopefully itll work

Archived