Corsair Community

Recommendation, please..

Spazz

Hi all... I've been a loyal Corsair user for a few years, now and am preparing to upgrade my main box and "hand down" the DIMMs to my server. I would really appreciate a quick recommendation for the best, current Corsair XMS for my box.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon XP-A, 2200 MHz (5.5 x 400) 3200+

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1011

nVIDIA nForce2 SPP

Chipset Properties:

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 SPP

CAS Latency 2.5T

RAS To CAS Delay 3T

RAS Precharge 3T

RAS Active Time 6T

Module Name Corsair CMX512-3200C2

Memory Slots:

DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

DRAM Slot #3 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Thanks, in advance, for any advice. I will probably just go with 1GB as I figure quality, rather than quantity, will be the way to go. Especially since I imagine the 512 modules I'm going to be looking at buying will not be inexpensive.

Early Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Mike

You are probably better off with a TWINX set of two 512MB modules instead of populating all three slots. This way you are taking better advantage of the performance increase from two channels of equal capacity (just make sure you don't plug both modules into the same channel).

I have two A7N8X-Deluxe boards and use TWINX1024-3200LL in one of them and two pieces of CMX512-3500C2 in the other (using the same low latency settings as on the 3200LL memory).

This was the best memory available at the time. If I were replacing that memory today I would go for the TWINX1024-3200XL memory.

Do you plan on using dual channel on your MOBO? If not, I'd suggest a single 1gb stick of the PC3200C2. From what I have seen, the dual channel on the NF2 MOBOs is not very effective. Multiple sticks of RAM in a single channel MOBO have more inherent latency than a single stick so, you may get the best overall performance from a single stick vs 2 or 3 sticks.

Faster memory will only benefit you if you intend to OC. And, you need to OC synchronously as the AMDs don't tend to like asynch operation. So, if you system will not run much past 200mhz you won't get any benefit from the faster RAM.

Mike.

Well, I picked up a set of TwinX (512X2) and at least one DIMM is faulty. Memtest coughed in the first 10 secs of testing. That was after trying the set in two different boxes and watching app after app crash. Pity I bought it on Ebay.. /sigh.

Yes, I tested them together and individually. Together, Memtest bombed out right away. Then the first one I let test all night and it is fine. The second one wouldn't even allow the machine to boot up. :(

This may be a silly question, but is there some sort of recycle or trade-in-for-credit program for XMS DIMMs?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Mike

Archived