Corsair Community

Might Have Bad Ram

easy_g

I have had my 2 sticks of 512MB Value Select Ram since late June and have had no problems. But I just got Half Life 2 :D: and keep getting booted to desktop with an error saying the memory could not be read. I figured that this was a bug with the game. But then I tried to use a program called VirtualDub do compress some video and it also comes up with an error about the memory.

So I used MemTest86 to test my sticks. With both in I kept getting 2 errors on test 5 and 1 error on test 7. So I took out the second stick and got the same errors. Then I replaced that stick with the second one and there were no errors.

So i think that I might have one bad stick.

EDIT: i tested both sticks seperately again. the first one had no errors but the second one had 236 errors after 5 passes.

well, I was playing Half Life 2 with only the good stick of ram and still got the same error message, so that must just be a bug in the game.

But I do know that the bad stick did fail memtest86. Although it doesn't really seem to be affecting my computer's performance at all.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I can't use my computer for a week (vacation), but i can tell you some information now and then i'll get the rest later.

My motherboard is an AOpen AK86-L. My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 at 2.0Ghz. I'm not sure of the front side bus, and i think they bios should be set at default for the most part, but i'll check as soon as i can to make sure.

Archived