Corsair Community

RMA request

Rose Kolodny

I have 2 512 sticks of xms3200cpt memory, one of which seems to be broken.

They were in a Gigabyte 8knxp, with a 2.6 Ghz P4. The system acted wonky and from time to time would just break down. Made me very sad. This most recent time, I wiped the (brand spankin' new) hard drive and went to install XP again. Could not copy this file or that file or generally complete the installation. I tried a different CD, different CD drive, different hard drive, and eventually, a new motherboard, because my gigabyte didn't seem comfortable with either module by itself. Silly me.

The new motherboard is an ASUS p4c800-e deluxe. Same processor. Same problem. I was able to install XP with just one module in place. Eventually I found a copy of memtest, and one stick gives me no errors, while the other one, in the same slot, gives me over 100,000. I am NOT overclocking.

Please help.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

CMX512-3200C2

Advanced/Jumper Free

AI over clocking: Manual

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.75 Volts

System performance: Standard

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (2.5T AMD Platform)

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

Performance Acceleration Mode: Auto or Enabled

USB Legacy Support: Disabled

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Neat-O. I used all your settings, and the stick that worked before still works.

The stick that gave me some trouble at the less agressive settings won't even POST now, so I can't really tell you what memtest has to say about it.

Since I bought them as a matched pair, should I send them both back, or just the broken one? ;)

Archived