Corsair Community

VS512MB400 on Epox 8k3a+?

Falceron

I purchased this module several days ago and I have been unsuccessful at getting it to work stably in my system at DDR333 speeds. I would like to get it running along with a Samsung PC-2700 module, but I have been unable to get the system to be stable with both installed with even the worst possible timings.

With the Corsair stick alone, I also experience problems. First, I can not get the system to boot at all with 1T command rate. At 2T It posts errors immediately in memtest86 or locks up the system as soon as the test begins unless I go down to 2.5-3-3-6. I haven't let it run completely at those settings, but on boot Prime95 finds an error after less than one minute, and I have experienced crashes and restarts. I would think it should be possible to run this module in my system, but please correct me if I am wrong. I was intending to run it at DDR333 with my Samsung stick at relatively good timings.

Welcome to the forums, Falceron!

Mixing/matching memory modules is never a good idea and rarely easy to do.

You could try increasing the DDR voltage, but let's make sure the Corsair module isn't failing first.

Please run 2.5-3-3-7 timings as the Corsair module is NOT RATED to go any faster and with another non-matched module, even at DDR333, probably will not!

Set the DDR Voltage to 2.7v and run Memtest86+ with just the VS module in the system.

PLUR

CK

2.5-3-3-6 are the highest timings available on my board-- is that the issue here? Also are the timings different on athlon 64 boards? I see things like 2-2-2-10 and such. I have been testing it at 2.8 volts as it won't even post at 2.5 most of the time (with or without the Samsung) and 2.8 is what my Samsung module likes.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB400

CPU Freq: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

Memory Timing: Optimal or

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Well what do you know I loaded a new BIOS 9/16/03 and it seems to be stable now with the Samsung at 2.5-3-3-6 2T (same timings that were flaky before). I will run memtest86 overnight to see how that goes, but it seems like I got lucky. I'll post the results, thanks for your help.

Archived