Corsair Community

Giving up on Corsair Link

oscillik

After a number of re-installs, like many other have done, with Link Software.

I decided to try so other software, for temps.

and after using HWmonitor, HWINFO64, ASRockExtreme, AMD Overdrive, Core temp and one or two more.

Its seems, that the Link Software down right sucks, when it comes to giving the Correct temps, sorry to say. I love Corsair products, But i think you need to go back to school on this stuff. your software will shows temp reaching 150C for the Northbridge. REALLY. when in fact my north bridge on my ASRock 990FX Extreme6 mother board dont get over 45C. using the other software listed above.

Ya something is a BIG MISS, with it.

So here is a ideal, when it comes to monitoring the temps for the system. i think you should, just monitor what the Closed loop coolers are doing from Corsair only and not giving the temps of the system. Or get with the makers of HWINFO64, or a mother board company to get the correct tech right for monitoring the motherboard sensors. instead of getting the mother boards in and working from the board stand point. Cause you all got it wrong, when it comes to the mother board sensors and what temps they are.

not saying the products are bad, its the programming that sucks. and that is being honest. from a END user stand point of view ..:mad:

see i was thinking that my boad was going bad, after using corsair link software. when in fact it was my GPU`s that are bad. so the software is reporting wrong temps, and really wrong temps at that. i dont think a firmware update or a new corsair link would help. now a REPROGRAM, of the software and a new version of it might be something to look into ..oh and a more adjustable RPM pump motor. giving options to the end user for speed of the pump .. i have the H100i unit and the pump is running at less then 2k rpm, and no way to adjust the speed. also pack it with the control unit. seems finding a seller with the control units (Corsair Commander Mini) , is well lets just say easier said then done. and getting temps from the power supply`s. not a easy task, when you have to purchase the dongle, buy its self. i am using the RM1000 watt power. and im not sure if the fan even kicks on, like it should the unit does not get to hot, just warm. even under full load, as for the fan, dont know if it even runs at all .. no way to check to see if it is even working ..

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HWiNFO should report the +12 current if you have a Corsair RM-Series C-Link Adapter all the time, but it will only report the FAN one it starts spinning. My SIV utility will report both all the time.

it does but the thing is you have to purchase that part . it dont come with the units .. and thats what sucks

you spend 150.00 and more on power supplies. and then you have to purchase C-link .

if the fan even turns on, no one will ever know. being how there is not way to tell once the system is running. Be nice to see something like a LED with color leds, on units like this. Red for full on, Pink or ?? for med, and ?? ( color for low, and nothing for not even running. then when it is linked with the software those leds are not used .. these units that are set to run when they are needed to. Cause mine never turns on, i clean my PC about once every week or two, depends on the usage. and i never, NEVER see any dust on the filter . and i game alot run video editing and photo editing software pretty much on a daily usage ..

now i have another problem with Corsair Software link software. but it might be a problem with my board too.

so here goes it ..

Corsair link is showing a CPU AUX fan at 2276, oh wait its flashing red. and the only thing i have pluged into that is the RPM dong for the H100i. so that leads me to believe that it is not reporting right .. seems that every so often, i have to un-install the software and re-install it, in order get the temp to work . they get stuck on very high temps that are over 100f, i dont get it, so gonna pull out my mother board toss in another one, and see what happens. who knows my board might be on the down fall. funny thing is its a BRAND NEW MOTHER BOARD /./.

Dude, this is NOT a problem with your motherboard. Link frequently reports incorrect temperatures and fan speeds, particularly for hardware that isn't directly connected to a Link device. On my PC, link reports 120c for my SSDs, 65c for my motherboard and 0RPM for several fans. These readings are stuck in place and never change. Link's temperature and fan readings aren't reliable and are the last thing you should be looking at when diagnosing a problem.

Check your temperatures with a reliable program like HWInfo or AIDA64. If they give a different reading to Link, you can be absolutely certain the problem is Link and forgot about changing your hardware.

I have heard so much praise of corsair in the past, all lies!!!! I am now in the process of ordering a different liquid set up and am tossing all corsair products , I cant afford (monitarrily or mental) having something that doesnt perform as advertised. Very sad state of affairs when a "reputable" company cant get their own products to work properly, makes you wonder if they are only putting this crap out to support the company bottom line. I will say that the cooler works very well at cooling my extreme chip, but I have no control over how fast the fans turn. will be expensive to replace all my cooling and memory but I refuse to use something that is proven to be inferior by the companies own lack of knowledge . so sadly I say bye bye corsair

I have heard so much praise of corsair in the past, all lies!!!! I am now in the process of ordering a different liquid set up and am tossing all corsair products , I cant afford (monitarrily or mental) having something that doesnt perform as advertised. Very sad state of affairs when a "reputable" company cant get their own products to work properly, makes you wonder if they are only putting this crap out to support the company bottom line. I will say that the cooler works very well at cooling my extreme chip, but I have no control over how fast the fans turn. will be expensive to replace all my cooling and memory but I refuse to use something that is proven to be inferior by the companies own lack of knowledge . so sadly I say bye bye corsair

It does make a person wonder doesn't it? For as long as the H80i and H100i have been out and the time that Windows 8.1 has been available they still cannot seem to get this software right. I read reviews of the "wonderful Corsair Link software" and wonder what version they are using because to read this forum it can't be the same. Yes the hardware is good but when a company promotes the accompanying software as the same great thing you would think they would put a big push to make it so.

I myself have had a few issues with Corsair Link, all simple problems. H100i and AX860i would not show up in Corsair Link after a fresh install of the OS (AX860i is plugged into the side of the H100i pump in order to be able to monitor both devices, only had 1 available USB). This was simply fixed by unplugging the USB from the side of the pump, and plugging it back in. Corsair Link then prompted me that new devices were ready to be installed. Problem solved.

My first motherboard (MSI Z87-GD65) would not register actual temps (was getting screwy readings up past 100C like others are experiencing within Corsair link). That motherboard is long gone now (had to RMA 3 of these boards before i finally said forget this MSI junk, *RMA was not because of Corsair Link issue not reading temps correctly). I have since then gotten a new motherboard (ASUS Maximus VII Formula), and all of the temp sensors report accurately.

Have not had any issues since then, running the latest CL 3.1.5525, and running version 1.0.7 for H100i.

• 2 weeks later...

I've already given up Corsair Link a couple of years ago, but sadly here I am again. It seems to me that the problems are the same as it was back then:

• Software only available for Windows
  • Whoever is making the software obviously doesn't know much about Windows, fundamental things like window drawing is flawed.
  • It is so full of bugs it's not really usable.
  • It hogs lots of resources while doing very little
  • It doesn't do what you ask it, things suddenly change or simply doesn't work.
  • Endless promises that things will improve in the next version, yet the next version is probably worse.
  • Versioning scheme is, atleast to me, completely meaningless and does in no way indicate major versions, minor versions or bugfix releases.
  • The software tries to do many things but doesn't even master the basics.
  • Firmware updates are unorganized and noone really seems to know what versions work or not. We, the customers, can't control what firmware to use, we have to rely on Corsair Link to decide for us.

I've said this when I tried to get Corsair Link to work last time, but I can repeat what I think needs to be done for Corsair Link to have a chance:

• Sack the current software development team.
  • Release (and update) the firmware API so that open source software can be made that can communicate with Corsair Link capable devices. This will make the state of the Corsair Link software much less damaging to customers, and it will be possible to use it with other OS'es.
  • Focus: Decide what the software should do, and skip all the "bling". Once the basics are in working order, one can think about "extras".
  • Skip the "fancy" graphical interface, it's not really that nice, and it creates a lot of problems both with resource usage, GUI standards and bugs.
  • Skip trying to read all kind of hardware out there on the marked with what must be a very limited software developmen team. Limit it to Corsairs sensors and fans/pumps/LEDs, and let us control them in a dependable and predictable way.
  • Separate GUI from the rest, and make a Windows service that will run even when the GUI crashes or isn't started. A nice touch would be to let the GUI connect via TCP, and be able to connect to/monitor several services/computers.
  • Get the basics working ASAP!

I've already given up Corsair Link a couple of years ago, but sadly here I am again. It seems to me that the problems are the same as it was back then:

• Software only available for Windows
  • Whoever is making the software obviously doesn't know much about Windows, fundamental things like window drawing is flawed.
  • It is so full of bugs it's not really usable.
  • It hogs lots of resources while doing very little
  • It doesn't do what you ask it, things suddenly change or simply doesn't work.
  • Endless promises that things will improve in the next version, yet the next version is probably worse.
  • Versioning scheme is, atleast to me, completely meaningless and does in no way indicate major versions, minor versions or bugfix releases.
  • The software tries to do many things but doesn't even master the basics.
  • Firmware updates are unorganized and noone really seems to know what versions work or not. We, the customers, can't control what firmware to use, we have to rely on Corsair Link to decide for us.

I've said this when I tried to get Corsair Link to work last time, but I can repeat what I think needs to be done for Corsair Link to have a chance:

• Sack the current software development team.
  • Release (and update) the firmware API so that open source software can be made that can communicate with Corsair Link capable devices. This will make the state of the Corsair Link software much less damaging to customers, and it will be possible to use it with other OS'es.
  • Focus: Decide what the software should do, and skip all the "bling". Once the basics are in working order, one can think about "extras".
  • Skip the "fancy" graphical interface, it's not really that nice, and it creates a lot of problems both with resource usage, GUI standards and bugs.
  • Skip trying to read all kind of hardware out there on the marked with what must be a very limited software developmen team. Limit it to Corsairs sensors and fans/pumps/LEDs, and let us control them in a dependable and predictable way.
  • Separate GUI from the rest, and make a Windows service that will run even when the GUI crashes or isn't started. A nice touch would be to let the GUI connect via TCP, and be able to connect to/monitor several services/computers.
  • Get the basics working ASAP!

This would be good advice assuming that Link problems affected every user--which it doesn't.The number of issues probably only represents a fraction of units sold but even so Corsair is still trying to fix things for this minority.,of course it doesn't help affected users but they are trying.

This would be good advice assuming that Link problems affected every user--which it doesn't.The number of issues probably only represents a fraction of units sold but even so Corsair is still trying to fix things for this minority.,of course it doesn't help affected users but they are trying.

I am so tired hearing you say that those with problems here are a "minority". It's so tired. Yeah, posting after posting here with Link not working must be the minority, while the majority is represented by you, and a few others who happen to have gotten lucky at the hardware lottery.

Since I've become more vocal with friends and other PC enthusiasts about Corsairs coolers, I've heard lots of stories about how many others just couldn't get it to work, so they gave up on the software, or they returned the hardware. I've yet to hear in real life one case of someone who got Link to work well enough they were happy with it. Out of eleven people I've run into, one is still using the Corsair cooler, because they used ASUS fan expert to control everything. Yeah, sounds like a big majority to me. Out of a random sampling of people I've come across, none got Link to work well enough to keep using it, yet it works correctly for the majority? I can't wait to do the statistics on that, assuming a normal distribution, and figure out what my chance of running into 11 out of 11 failures is with Link working for the majority! :p:

Corsair can't even be bothered to keep their own thread on software progress up to date. That so pitiful. There's a total lack of respect by Corsair for their customers. Our money was good enough to take, but they'd rather spend money on getting new hardware out with new Link firmware and software support, than fix what they've sold that never worked right.

Corsair, you've done much worse than lose a customer, you've gained an outspoken enthusiast who's willing to tell everyone that Link is a negative feature. If they want the hardware, OK, but if they ever expect the software to work, they'll have better luck buying a lottery ticket!

PS: The chance of finding 11 people out of 11 who can't get Link working, if we assume that exactly 50% get it working, is given by:

The probability of it failing, 0.5, raised to the 11th power. In other words 0.5^11 approx 0.000488 or 0.0488%

If we assume more people get it working, as wytnyt postulates, he seems to assume numbers like 75% or better, that the statistics get even worse.

The probability of it failing, 0.25, raised to the 11th power. 0.25^11 approx 0.0000002384 Yeah... that's like 0.2384 chances out of a million, or almost 1 chance in 4 million.

Or, lets turn this around and examine what the failure rate must be for me to have a 50/50 chance at finding 11 out of 11 failures in real life. That would be the 11th root of 0.5 approx 0.9389, so if we assume that 93.89% of users are having a problem, I have a 50/50 chance of finding 11 out of 11. That I can believe. So wytnyt, I don't believe a majority of users have Link working, and the math bears this out.

He wants to be heard,which to a degree is ok but......

I want to also want to rightfully be heard,I catch so much flack from users when I mention certain products are not a total loss ,Ive posted countless video SHOWING it does work so out of respect to computer builders,please try to respect or at least understand my side.

I truly wish every user will have the success Ive had and Im sorry some don't,,but it is only some

I truly wish a fix will come for affected users but,it isn't justified slamming those that aren't affected.

I doubt that you, or I, or even Corsair have good statistics on this. Most users will not bother to write about their problems and just find another product and stay away from the make in the future. I very much question your claim that only a fraction of (CL capable) devices suffers from problems though, as I find it highly unlikely. I don't think the problem is with the devices themselves, but with the software in all but the rarest cases. On the computer with the cooling node which I have long since given up, CL will crash even when the commander USB isn't connected. It will show most of the same problems with unstable, inconsistant behavior regardless of the hardware involved. This system is a VM with a USB pass through for the commander connection. I therefore have tested different OS'es: Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 7 32 bits. All of these OS'es had exactly the same problems with CL, and both Windows 7 VM's were set up specificly to isolate CL as it would hang/crash other software on the server as well. That mean that these are virtualized "computers" with only generic "hardware" and the very minimum of "hardware devices". They were also completely clean, freshly installed and updated Windows installations without any other software whatsoever. Just Windows and Corsair Link. When the software still is unstable under such idealized conditions, I feel very confident claiming it's the software itself that doesn't work and not some unlikely conflict with hardware or software on my computer.

The new installation (with the H100i GTX) is not a virtualized one, running Windows 7, but the problems are similar although not all exactly the same.

Why are you still here? What are you trying to achieve?

I don't know if you were addressing me or not with that comment, but in case you were: I'm here again now because I just bought a H100i GTX. I was very much in doubt, but I wanted a regulated (pump/fans adjusting to water temp) watercooling solution and the choices aren't that many. I went with the H100i GTX in the end because it did what I needed according to the specs, and the price was lower than the other solutions I looked at. I figured that the state of CL couldn't possibly be as hopeless now as it was then, and that the likelihood that the very simple tasks I wanted (to regulate the pump and the fans for the H100i) to do would work was good. It seems I was wrong, as CL now reports water temperature as 0 C and thus any attempt to create a custom curve is futile. It was also a surprise to me that the pump just had two settings that doesn't seem to consider temperatures at all. I've also always kept a small hope that I would be able to use my cooling node for something useful one day.

So, in short: I'm here because I own two Corsair Link capable devices that I've paid money for, and I'm frustrated that I can't use them as intended.

Why are you still here? What are you trying to achieve?

I'm still here because...

Corsair continues to sell product they know has big problems with Corsair Link, yet they continue to market Corsair Link as a differentiating feature, and take customers money, knowing they will have a large failure rate.

Corsair continues to make promises that slip, without providing any feedback to those who have paid good money, on when they might reasonably expect a solution. I think Corsair owes customers a working solution, and just keeping them in the dark and feeding them BS doesn't cut it!

I hope to enlighten some that come here, that problems with Corsair Link are not an isolated incident to a fractional percent of users. This allows such customers to make a more informed decision. Corsair's hardware is quite good, it is Corsair Link that is beyond horrible.

I hope by continuing to provide realistic insight on Corsair Link, that it might get appropriate attention at Corsair, and perhaps finally get people what they've paid for.

So, I've answered. Why do you come here? Your answers are typically that the software has issues, and users shouldn't expect much. Do I need to point those threads out for you? Since you're not providing updates, I don't see why you're here... Well... I guess that's not really true. I expect the reason you are here, is because you've been told to keep this forum in check, as Corsair wants to minimize the black eye. So again, this just pisses me off, as it means I paid a portion of your salary, for you to try and sweep this under the rug.

So my question would be better asked as, other than being paid to be here, what value are you providing?

• Corsair Employee

The funny thing is that you actually believe that the stink that you make, specifically, is somehow any bigger or more important than the stink being raised internally by my department and even the product manager on a regular basis.

I'm trying to help troubleshoot issues as best I can and keep the natives from getting too restless to buy us time to get solutions rolled out. I'm in the forums talking to people, collecting data, submitting it to our bug tracker, going to meetings, representing the angry masses, and doing what I can to get things done.

Literally all you do is make my job harder. That's it. There's no result beyond that, and certainly nothing constructive.

I hope to enlighten some that come here, that problems with Corsair Link are not an isolated incident to a fractional percent of users. This allows such customers to make a more informed decision. Corsair's hardware is quite good, it is Corsair Link that is beyond horrible.
Your opinion is noted, however your math with no real data sets means nothing. Your informal polling does not produce anything meaningful. Scientific method, etc. I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. GUESSING helps no one.

... as it means I paid a portion of your salary ...
SERIOUSLY? Wow.

It seems to me like you two have some ongoing situation that I'm not familiar with, but from the last two posts CircuitWizardry has made it's hard not to agree with him.

When I don't understand is why somebody hasn't terminated the contract with the software devs a long time ago, realizing that it will never work by doing more of what's been done a long time already. Creating a stable software controlling these devices shouldn't be neither a big nor a complex task, in the end what you want to do is quite simple.

Neither do I understand why releasing the USB protocol/API/firmware interface is so controversial and difficult. It would let others make software in parallell, and your customers would have more choices and a higher probability of finding a working solution for them. I remember from earlier that it was argued that licensing issues made this impossible, but I don't really understand how Corsair would be in a position to not decide over information related to firmware for their own devices.

• Corsair Employee
It seems to me like you two have some ongoing situation that I'm not familiar with, but from the last two posts CircuitWizardry has made it's hard not to agree with him.

When I don't understand is why somebody hasn't terminated the contract with the software devs a long time ago, realizing that it will never work by doing more of what's been done a long time already. Creating a stable software controlling these devices shouldn't be neither a big nor a complex task, in the end what you want to do is quite simple.

Actually, that's what happened, which is why we're at where we're at. The Corsair Link 3.0 fork is largely our own code.

Neither do I understand why releasing the USB protocol/API/firmware interface is so controversial and difficult. It would let others make software in parallell, and your customers would have more choices and a higher probability of finding a working solution for them. I remember from earlier that it was argued that licensing issues made this impossible, but I don't really understand how Corsair would be in a position to not decide over information related to firmware for their own devices.

Would that we could. The problem is that the firmware, at least for the stuff manufactured by CoolIT, is their IP. So what you have are a couple generations of coolers with firmware we can't touch, along with structural and contract changes in place to prevent this from happening in the future.

The huge problem we run into is when there's a firmware problem and we don't have access to the firmware *to* fix it.

That's why this turns into a nasty gordian knot. So the best we can do is hack around it in the Link desktop client while trying to essentially design future implementations more thoughtfully. That's why H110i GT, H100i GTX, and H80i GT don't actually have the detection problems that H80i and H100i do.

Archived