Corsair Community

Replacing Obsidian 550D fans

Riekopo

I have an Obsidian 500D case that I bought in 2012. I'd like to replace the fans with better ones if those exist. Currently the stock fans in it are a 140mm rear fan and two 120mm front fans. I was thinking of first buying an AF140 Quiet Edition High Airflow fan for the rear. It seems to have better specs than the 140mm LED Quiet fan.

As for the front fans I'm not sure which to choose. Currently the Hard Drive bays in the case are removed so there's nothing but open space there. I'm not sure if I need high static pressure fans or not. I don't really understand what high static pressure means.

Also, if anyone knows the specs of the stock fans that would be great.

I think these are the specs of the case fans of the Obsidian 550D: 120mm, 1100 RPM, 37.93 CFM, 21 dBA, .8 mmH2O. I'm not sure if those numbers are at the max performance or average performance or what.

I bought an Air Series AF 140 Quiet Edition fan for the rear. The specs for that are: 140mm, 67.8 CFM, .84 mm/H2O, 24dBA, 1150 RPM. So that gives me 30 more cubic feet of exhaust air flow with a slightly higher noise.

I'd really appreciate some help from a Corsair employee here.

• 8 months later...

I decided to augment my 550D case with Noctua fans. Exhaust and bottom (beside power supply) are NP-A14 PWM, the two front case fans are now NF-F12 PWM, and the CPU fan (on a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO) is NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM, all connected to an ASUS X99/USB 3.1 motherboard.

System is mildly overclocked to 4.1GHz...

Archived