Corsair Community

Corsair 500r's ideal mounting position for H90

dumberdog

Hello, i have a Corsair 500r with a Corsair Hydro H90 installed on the top of the case, because i tried mounting it on the back, removing the 140mm stock fan, and concluded the H90's radiator won't let the side panel slide into place and close. It's working fine but i would like to see the H90 on the back of the 500r, freeing some space on the top for 2 extra fans if needed.

Can you guys clarify this?

Thanks in advance.

Went and checked the 500R in the lab, pretty sure I found the issue you're having. Did you try installing the H90 with an extra fan in a push-pull configuration?

In fact i didn't try that, i guess i'll give it a try.

Thanks for the advice

Let me know if it works for you. As a sidenote, the H90 performs exponentially better with a second fan, so don't be surprised if your temps go down in the process.

I tried it but the door still doesn't slide into place. It seems the radiator is too large for a back of the case mount.

May i know how did you close the side panel

Have to admit I'm stumped. Even just looking at the photos I can't figure out why the side panel would have any trouble fitting. Is it that the screw isn't getting enough clearance to go all the way in?

I'm using the screws that came with the radiator, should i use the ones included with the case? :confused:

• Corsair Employees

Just took a look and yeah, you're right. I feel stupid I hadn't even thought to look and see if the panel itself was the problem; most of our modern cases don't have that clearance issue.

If I recall, the 500R predates the H90, which would go some ways in explaining this kind of clearance issue. I'm sorry to give you the runaround just to go "yep, you're right, that won't fit." Unfortunately I don't have any practical solution for you outside of taking a hacksaw to that runner.

The problem is the metal runner on the side panel. I am having the same problem and it is a little frustrating that you manufacture both products and do not see the same problem we are having.

Empty

Yeah that's exactly the problem i was trying to show on the pictures i posted.

Do we have to modify it in order to fit? :bigeyes:

I'm glad i wasn't the only guy having that issue.

Still open to sugestions. :idea:

Just took a look and yeah, you're right. I feel stupid I hadn't even thought to look and see if the panel itself was the problem; most of our modern cases don't have that clearance issue.

If I recall, the 500R predates the H90, which would go some ways in explaining this kind of clearance issue. I'm sorry to give you the runaround just to go "yep, you're right, that won't fit." Unfortunately I don't have any practical solution for you outside of taking a hacksaw to that runner.

That's what i thought; don't forget to change the 500r's product info on the rear radiator mounting point for the Hydro H90.

Thanks for the help anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
That's what i thought; don't forget to change the 500r's product info on the rear radiator mounting point for the Hydro H90.

Thanks for the help anyway.

I've followed your tip and used an hacksaw to cut that portion of the metal runner i needed to set up the H90 in push-pull configuration on 500r's rear. Worked fine, the problem is solved:biggrin:

Here are some pics:

20150125_185350.jpg.639f50135b17c2b2d6626a66794f56a5.jpg

20150125_195112_2.jpg.9bfcde016cda84af8d0cfa4991d592c7.jpg

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I'm sorry you had to take a hacksaw to the case to do it. :|

Yeah fortunatelly it worked out for me, but for those who are not familiar with tools that might not be the case.

IMHO you guys should redesign that side panel, first by removing the metal runner, second by replacing the mesh and fan with a neat side window. :idea:

Archived