Corsair Community

P6X58D-E & 16GB Corsair

Steinmann

Hello!

Hello! I have a friend who is looking to upgrade the ram in his PC - he wants 16GB in total. His motherboard is a P6X58D-E - I wanted to suggest the Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz - But will 2 sticks of 8GB be compatible with his motherboard? I looked at the manual online and it only supports 1GB, 2GB and 4GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR3 DiMMs - It's this invalid because maybe 8GB sticks are new? (just a guess!) - I just want to be sure.

What would be the best Corsair ram in this price range (£150) for 16GB 1600Mhz ram with this motherboard. Can I mix? Many thanks in advance!

AFAIK 8GB DIMMs will not work. What memory is installed at the moment? I have a P6X58D Premium with 6 x 2GB giving 12GB which works well. I would be inclined to try 3 x 4GB + 3 x 2GB giving 18GB as it's a Triple channel memory controller. You could get 4 x 4GB and run dual channel, but 6 x 4GB would be slightly faster. You can mix sizes but not voltages and the speed will be the limited by the slowest DIMMs.

Archived