Corsair Community

How to power my MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/OC Graphic Card?

erkipkua

I am building my very first PC (I am using a MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard, a MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/OC Graphic Card and a Corsair CS450M Power Supply.) and I am having problems figuring out how to power my Graphic Card. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The Motherboard is powered by the ATX 24-pin that comes with the Power Supply. The CPU is powerd by the ATX12V 8-pin that comes with the Power Supply. I am left at the Power Supply level with 3 6-pin SATA plugs and one 6+2 PCI-E plug. Do I use the 6+2 PCI-E plug to connect to the 8-pin of the Graphic Card and one of the SATA plug to connect to the 6-pin of the Graphic Card?

Plug the 6+2 PCI-E connector into the 8-pin on the graphic card. You're then going to have to get a molex to

6-pin PCI-E adapter(you probably got one with your GPU). Like this one...

Plug the adapter into 2 free molex connectors, plug the 6-pin into the GPU and you should be good to go.

You'll probably be fine with the 450, but if you're going to be doing some heavy gaming I'd guess you'll be getting

pretty close to maxing it out. If you haven't done so already, you may want to run your spec's through a power supply

calculator. I use this one.

If it were me I'd return the CS450 and pick up the CS550. It has the proper cables; gives you a little buffer and for

whatever reason Newegg is selling it for less than the CS450 - it also has a $20 rebate and if you buy it by the 5th, you

get another $10 off with the promo code - Win Win...

Thanks. Your answer was very thoughtful and informative. After reading it, I have decided to upgrade my Corsair CS450 to a Corsair CS550.

Despite the inconvenience, I believe that I have learned a valuable lesson. From now on, I will pay more attention to the availibility of contectors when choosing a power supply for a computer.

Glad I could help. If there's one thing I've learned from 20 years of messing around inside of PC's(and I'm no expert), it's to

take the time to research all your parts to make sure you know how they work and that they play nice with each other...

Good Luck on you 1st build, it really is a lot of fun and cost effective. Before you know it you'll be wanting to do another.

Archived