Corsair Community

Corsair H100i 140mm fan more effective

briancvrrbs

I have a question about installing 140mm fans on the h100i. I have the h100i mounted to the front panel of my Corsair 450D and the case allows for 140mm fans in the front. Would replacing the 140mm fans (Static pressure) with 120mm static pressure fans cool better? I want to keep the larger fans in the front because the case allows for it but I'm wondering if they don't cool as effectively because they are not the same size as the radiator.

With out being able to physically see your case, I think you would be wasting your effort. The advantage of a 140 fan over a 120 is can push the same volume of air at a low rpm, and thus lower noise. However, in your theoretical set-up, it sounds like air will rush around the outside edge of the rad from the larger fan. This is likely to create a higher pitch noise that your ears are more sensitive to and overall is likely acoustically worse than 2x120 flush mounted. Generally, static pressure ratings for 120 and 140 fans come out even when adjusted for RPM. I doubt there would be much cooling difference with either set-up, and so you've created more noise for equal cooling. If you want to give it try, you can. It won't hurt anything, except the for the cost of the fans. If you already have 140's in the front, I wouldn't worry about it. I can't see from pictures how much of a gap there would be around the fans edges, but if you are running the fans in push, it may be fine. But again, I wouldn't expect any significant cooling difference at the CPU.

What are you trying to achieve? Increased cooling? Quieter fans?

With out being able to physically see your case, I think you would be wasting your effort. The advantage of a 140 fan over a 120 is can push the same volume of air at a low rpm, and thus lower noise. However, in your theoretical set-up, it sounds like air will rush around the outside edge of the rad from the larger fan. This is likely to create a higher pitch noise that your ears are more sensitive to and overall is likely acoustically worse than 2x120 flush mounted. Generally, static pressure ratings for 120 and 140 fans come out even when adjusted for RPM. I doubt there would be much cooling difference with either set-up, and so you've created more noise for equal cooling. If you want to give it try, you can. It won't hurt anything, except the for the cost of the fans. If you already have 140's in the front, I wouldn't worry about it. I can't see from pictures how much of a gap there would be around the fans edges, but if you are running the fans in push, it may be fine. But again, I wouldn't expect any significant cooling difference at the CPU.

What are you trying to achieve? Increased cooling? Quieter fans?

Thanks for the quick response! :) In all honesty I just want the 140mm fans mounted in front because it allows for it and the larger purple LED fans look nicer. In my current setup, the screw holes of the 450D do not allow the top 120mm push fan to sit flush with the radiator so it is offset about half an inch up. About an inch of the radiator is not cooled by fans. So now that you mentioned it, I guess more cooling would also be a reason, much better than the previous reasons :o:

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try though! Thanks :)

IMG_0658.thumb.JPG.50dc14d0bbfde21c478693f563328f8b.JPG

It sounds like aesthetics are equally important and there's nothing wrong with that. So 140 LED fans on the intake as push with the rad mounted on the inside? Is the alternative 3x120? Just keep an eye on your cpu temps initially. While probably less effective, I don't think it will be an issue unless your running close to your thermal comfort zone already. If you pick up some noise, you will be able to make your own judgments about whether or not it's worth it.

It sounds like aesthetics are equally important and there's nothing wrong with that. So 140 LED fans on the intake as push with the rad mounted on the inside? Is the alternative 3x120? Just keep an eye on your cpu temps initially. While probably less effective, I don't think it will be an issue unless your running close to your thermal comfort zone already. If you pick up some noise, you will be able to make your own judgments about whether or not it's worth it.

I also thought it would be less effective but it was actually a lot better! Originally, i had put the radiator on top of the case with push fans and the 140mm dual fans in the front as intake. Temps were running a bit high than I would've liked at around 30*C idle and around 50*C during gaming. So I switched the location of the 140mm to the top as exhaust and moved the radiator to the front with push pull 120mm and everything is so much cooler:: 19/20*C idle and around 32*C when gaming...although I'm really questioning the accuracy of the motherboards thermal probes cause I've never had it that low lol

The alternative to dual 140mm is dual 120mm.

An alternative would be to switch to the H110 from the H100i. That'll certainly improve thermal performance and acoustics.

Yeah, that would be ideal lol but the way I have it configured with the radiator in the front I am able to fit one hard drive right above it in a single HDD cage mounted to the bottom of the 5.25 bay cages. I ended up purchasing some 140mm to 120mm fan mounting adapters that will do a great job hopefully :)

Archived