Corsair Community

H105 question

tru2011

Hello,

I'm building a new pc. However, I want to make sure I am not making a mistake. I have the H105 and I'm connecting it to Asus Sabertooth Z97 mobo. I currently have the following connected: The header cable from the pump to the 4 prong cpu fan header, the Y-header cables to the 4 prong cpu opt header, the fan header cables connected to the 3 prong assistant fan 1 header. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Be careful connecting the pump to the CPU header pin on Asus boards. There is nothing physically wrong with it, but the Asus BIOS may try to change the voltage to it and regulate it like a fan unless you prevent it from doing so. Since the pump speed is constant, you might connect it straight to the power supply, if that's an option. If not, lots of people do connect to that pin. Just make sure it's set to 100% in the BIOS/Fan expert etc.

"The Y cable to the OPT connector". I know the connector you're talking about - right next to the CPU_FAN header. What is connected to the Y-end? This is where I would think to connect the two fans for the H105 (I'm assuming top mounted radiator).

Yes 2 fans into y connector then y connector into cpu opt. Pump to cpu fan header. Just make sure any fan controls for the cpu fan header are turned off in bios. You want it connected to this header in case the pump failed on you. I don't think I've seen many pumps, if any, of the round style aio coolers fail and I've been around here a while. Still better safe than sorry.

Yes 2 fans into y connector then y connector into cpu opt. Pump to cpu fan header. Just make sure any fan controls for the cpu fan header are turned off in bios. You want it connected to this header in case the pump failed on you. I don't think I've seen many pumps, if any, of the round style aio coolers fail and I've been around here a while. Still better safe than sorry.

Be careful connecting the pump to the CPU header pin on Asus boards. There is nothing physically wrong with it, but the Asus BIOS may try to change the voltage to it and regulate it like a fan unless you prevent it from doing so. Since the pump speed is constant, you might connect it straight to the power supply, if that's an option. If not, lots of people do connect to that pin. Just make sure it's set to 100% in the BIOS/Fan expert etc.

"The Y cable to the OPT connector". I know the connector you're talking about - right next to the CPU_FAN header. What is connected to the Y-end? This is where I would think to connect the two fans for the H105 (I'm assuming top mounted radiator).

Ok I ran into an issue. When my computer started to post i received the following errors: "CPU over temperature error" and "CPU error".

Ok, so do you hear any noise from the pump? Have you tried tapping on the block and/or shifting the case around to remove any air bubbles? Have you double checked the power connection? Does your BIOS recognize the pump?

According to the BIOS my cpu temperature is now stable(30 degrees F). However I'm still receiving the CPU error.

According to the BIOS my cpu temperature is now stable(30 degrees F). However I'm still receiving the CPU error.

A hydro will initially spin up a bit slower than a fan and sometimes can result in a cpu-fan error.You should be able to reduce the rpm spin rate in your bios,,,

A hydro will initially spin up a bit slower than a fan and sometimes can result in a cpu-fan error.You should be able to reduce the rpm spin rate in your bios,,,

I decided to select ignore cpu in the BIOS. That seemed like it resolved my problem. The temperatures are stable(CPU and mobo) . But how do you know for sure the hydro is working? I know it seems like a dumb question. But I just wanted to make sure that it is functioning correctly so I won't run into any problems in the long run. Thanks

Ok, so do you hear any noise from the pump? Have you tried tapping on the block and/or shifting the case around to remove any air bubbles? Have you double checked the power connection? Does your BIOS recognize the pump?

I looked at a Corsair YouTube video on installation. The guy plugged the y cable into the CPU header and the pump cable into one of the fan headers. I am unable to hear the noise from the pump because of the fans. Where will it show the pumps in the BIOS? I am unable to find it in the Asus UEFI BIOS.

It will show in the BIOS. e.g. If the pump is connected to CPU_FAN, In the BIOS the RPM readings will be under CPU_FAN. Same goes for the chassis fan headers.

If the pump is directly connected to the PSU, the BIOS will not have any readings from the pump.

You can also download a program like hwmonitor that will tell you the rpm from within windows. It'll just be listed under whatever header you have the pump hooked to.

I'm using ASUS Suite's Thermal Radar. I have the y cable connected to the cpu fan. However, I had to disable the cpu header because I was receiving a cpu error. The fans are still running though.

If you plugged the pump into the Chassis fan headers for example, the RPM reading will be under that Chassis fan label. e.g. CHA_FAN1 will be Chassis Fan 1, the reading will be the pump's RPM.

Yeah it looks like it is running between 1516 rpm's-1539 rpms.

Archived