Corsair Community

H80I Cant even start prime... and C-Link

RodrigoDRT

Ive recently bought this H80U unit, read many reviews and in so many they would be as good as NH-D14... but mine turns out to be worse than stock...

To begin with i kind of installed it as the manual explains, its also set to intake... when i turn on my machine i can hear the fans going full blast.. damn this thing is loud..

yet the performance is terrible, when i first entered the bios setup temps were already 70c, when i've boot my system it would stay 45-50C... now when i start prime it goes 100C instantly... not even my old Coolermaster X6 elite (with only the back exhaust fan cuz the front one doesnt fit with the ram) would go so high temps, it would stay at 65C max, now after 5 minutes of tests on my old X6 temps would go 90C when it begins with small fft tests..

with this H80I as i said i cant even start prime cause it almost throttles the CPU and shut down...

Also, whats with corsair link? the CPU temps are simply flashing red and not measuring it at all, then for a second or two displays the temp but after another second it goes red-flashing again... what I am doing wrong here? the fans are probably in full blast cause this thing is damn loud and still an horrible cooling performance

apologies for the bad english

see picture bellow

http://s29.postimg.org/hcw0wo9ef/temp.jpg

I had it re-seated but no luck, removed the original thermal compound and applied a new one too, im quite sure everything is where it should though i noticed when i removed the block to check the backplate, i noticed that even with all the double-headed screws tightly fit to the backplate, it was still loose...

also im quite sure it has nothing to do with it but the block, I had to rotate it 90° left cuz otherwise the hose would twist too much

Probably does have something to do with it. I don't think the side of the block that has the hoses is supposed to be parallel with the ground. The backplate is supposed to be loose then snug up when u install the pump. Did u make sure the 2 notches on the backplate are around the screws coming out of the cpu socket backplate ?

Any time the temp spikes to max that fast, you most certainly have a block contact problem.

The H80i is mounted in the rear 120mm slot? Or the roof? Unless I thinking of the wrong case, you have a decent front intake, side intake, and ventilated roof and a rear 120 space. That's plenty of intake air. I would run the H80i as exhaust, particularly if the roof venting is passive (no fans). It would be pretty difficult to put a kink in those hoses. You might be need to give us a little more detail.

Probably does have something to do with it. I don't think the side of the block that has the hoses is supposed to be parallel with the ground. The backplate is supposed to be loose then snug up when u install the pump. Did u make sure the 2 notches on the backplate are around the screws coming out of the cpu socket backplate ?

Theres how it was, notice the huge gab in between the board and the washers... I replaced the original ones for some "taller" ones i had from my old X6, while I have hated to do this... seemed the only option to reduce that gap....

http://s27.postimg.org/pw3lt5arn/DSC_0125.jpg

once again i put it back together, re-applied the compound and made sure it was sitting there tightly, put it back to the 'should-be' orientation:

http://postimg.org/image/sz0k4v7k1/

the loose backplate seemed to be part of the problem, temps dropped and now at least i can run prime, but still not quite happy... fans are at max speed (so damn loud...) and yet temps would reach 90c right off the bat... and its only with intel turbo boost on (3.9ghz), pretty much the same performance as my X6 on its "workaround" mode.

prime and temps, notice the core temp is still red flashing in the corsair link suite... its really upsetting..

http://s30.postimg.org/5h91ssvb5/testprime.jpg

this is the X6 i speak of, it has the cooler mounted @ its back as an "exhaust", meaning, instead of being mounted in front of it, pulling air from the front and pushing it throught the heatsink towards the rear 120mm fan, its mounted behind the heatsink, pulling the air inside it and dumping it back in the 120mm.... needless to say, its not a pretty setup.. nor an efficient one...

http://s30.postimg.org/agacck39d/DSC_0143.jpg

i really wish im doing something wrong here... It would be too disappointing to have purchased such an expensive WC just to find out its damn loud, more risky, and performs actually worse or the very same as my X6...

edit: on a note, not sure if thats how it is but even at 90C, the block and radiator are nothing like hot when i touch them, nor any of the hoses

Even if the fans are off, you should not shoot straight up to 90C running a normal program. That means the block still isn't set. You're not the first person to have difficulty with the "loose" backplate dilemma. Somewhere in here is a long thread about it.

He still has the usual flashing red dials to deal with once the mounting is on right. That looks like Win 7, so you should be able to get it. Try the usual things - switching the USB port to another mainboard slot, run it to an external USB to mini connector, or roll back to a prior version of the Link program. No loss in functionality with older versions.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=125350

Ya that's why I asked for the straight on pic. Once he sent that I could tell by where the single screw is on the socket backplate that it wasn't on right in the first pic.

no clue really, I removed everything and put it back together, I may have rotated it but i couldnt tell... what I can tell now is that for sure the stock washers were at partially the culprits, when i changed them to the X6's bigger ones, i removed the block once more and noticed the compound was smeared all across, so i left those of the X6 and re-seated everything back.

while i still have the flashing red temps on corsair link, at least I can tell with HWMonitor that temps are 33-40 @ idle, but also realized that the intel boost feature simply raised my Vcore to 1.208. 5mins running prime and i get temps readings of about 60~66C, after 5 mins it gets to the small fft tests and now at least it stays at 85C~ ish, its an improvement since i couldnt even start prime without hitting 100C.

plus i also found this thread talking about it:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748858-i7-4790K-and-H80i-are-these-normal-temps-and-operation-%28

while im not running my cpu overclocked (much), i still get lower temps than this guy on small fft tests, and hes using a 4790k, wich , from what i hear, runs at lowers temps than the 4770k... while my old X6 would 70C on blend tests, this H80i hits 66C max, all in all its still better.. now to have corsair link work properly is another thing...

I doubt it was the washers. You had the backplate on wrong before. This is what I meam by the right way. Its probably what fixed your issue n not the washers at all.

http://i60.tinypic.com/6j3rc4.png

plus during prime your cpu will automatically overvolt by .1v due to avx instructions. Only way around this is to manually set voltage. But thus also takes away power saving features.

I doubt it was the washers. You had the backplate on wrong before. This is what I meam by the right way. Its probably what fixed your issue n not the washers at all.

http://i60.tinypic.com/6j3rc4.png

plus during prime your cpu will automatically overvolt by .1v due to avx instructions. Only way around this is to manually set voltage. But thus also takes away power saving features.

Yup, i guess i see what happened there, so maybe the washers werent the culprits at all, when i had put the x6 ones instead i probably rotated it w/o noticing I wonder if theres any point in putting them back by now...

neverthless,corsair link is still being a jerk... I swapped the usb connector to every available header on my board and still have 0C readings on CPU / H80i Temp metters, kinda annoying that i cant rely on them...

You're in good company. Time to start rolling back to earlier versions of the Link program. Make sure you delete the profiles in your C:User>Name>App Data>Roaming>Corsair>Profiles folder before installing the next version. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern as to why some versions work and some don't. It's usually a conflict with the motherboard/BIOS. When it's working properly, under your Options>Devices tab in Link, you will see all of your components listed. When you click one, you should see full system information. If it's only 2 or 3 lines with a version #, the MB and Link are not connected properly.

Well C-link simply hates me, I switched to the version prior to the latest one and now i get system freezes when changing speed profiles, quiet/balance/peformance.

now while running prime, i noticed that the temperatures on the context menu at least shows up, but while the CPU is at 77C, the pump is only at 35C @ the H80i temp, is that correct? I wouldnt think that if the core is so hot, the cooling unit would be quite hot also, but the temp difference is quite huge

Pic:

http://postimg.org/image/6b5tmltkx/

The "H80i" temperature is the water temp inside the unit. The CPU temp is exactly what it appears to be. That water temp is about normal for that kind of load. I don't want to say whether the CPU is too warm for that voltage without knowing your room temperature. Someone with a Haswell might be able to offer more knowledge. Incidentally, make sure you assign your fans to the H80i temperature group (2ns tab at top). If you put them in the CPU temp group (like one might think), they will jump around like crazy. The water temp changes slowly allowing the fans to rise and fall slowly as well. Also, that's what those pre-programmed fan profiles are designed for.

Are you on Win 7 or 8.1? If Windows 7 I would start jumping back further in Link versions. 2.6 to 2.5 to 2.4 to 2.3. Which one works is usually motherboard dependent.

Archived