Corsair Community

AX760i problem

kyouhou

• Corsair Employee

So the video is you pressing the power button over and over again, right?

When did you see the BIOS POST screen that you show in the JPG (Dropbox is showing JPGs no problem! LOL!)?

It almost seems like the PSU is detecting a short and going into protection, though often protection mode means the PSU has latched off and you actually have to flip the switch on the back of the PSU to get it to come back to life.

This might sound like a pain in the butt, but I'd strip this down to just PSU, motherboard and CPU (w/ CPU cooler of course). No graphics card, no drives.... not even RAM for starters. Because the PC should at least power up and stay powered up and the status LED will just stop at the error code for "no RAM".

Video is after pushing power button once. It'll do that for hours with no intervention if I let it. It's been over a month since I saw that bios message, so I'm not totally sure if it was after it powered itself down. I take pictures of messages out of the ordinary and it seemed like a bad sign. I'll try stripping it tomorrow as I'm headed to bed early. I have Corsair Link logs on an external from several of the 'events' but they all show normal voltages and temps. It's strange though. It'd work for days straight then just randomly power down and get stuck in that loop.

I'm quite puzzled right now. I put everything in bit by bit testing each time and it booted fine. I left out my WD Blacks because I'm putting them in another PC, but aside from that, that's the only difference. I don't know what to think anymore.

• Corsair Employee

I know what to think... One of the HDDs is fried.

The PSU has short circuit protection. If there's something that's not functioning correctly, it's going to try to shut down. Problem is, the motherboard keeps telling it to turn on, so you get stuck in this on, off, on, off cycle.

That's just my opinion.

I know what to think... One of the HDDs is fried.

The PSU has short circuit protection. If there's something that's not functioning correctly, it's going to try to shut down. Problem is, the motherboard keeps telling it to turn on, so you get stuck in this on, off, on, off cycle.

That's just my opinion.

Sorry for the hijack but Jonnyguru you just made my day!

I had the exact same symptoms as described by Kyouhou.

It was one of my HDDs that was the culprit and after it was removed everything is working perfect.

Edit:

Still got the problem...... It wasn't the HDD in my case.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also like to apologise for a hijack but I think we all understand the frustrations of computer troubles and this is something that's been troubling me for a while now.

I also have an AX760i which gets stuck in the exact same state as the video above. It happens randomly, computer will just shut off and get stuck in that reset loop and the only way I can get the comp back on is by shutting down and leaving it for a little bit before trying again. Usually, it ends up shutting down on me after a while and it begins again.

I've ran the self-test on the PSU and it always comes back green, even immediately after the reset loop, so I guess it's not a capacitor discharge in the PSU itself.

Once, I tried to get the comp running with bare minimum components and it still refused (The problem can be extremely intermittent).

Is this reset loop the PSU protecting itself/the computer from a short? (My guess is the motherboard, if it is shorting.)

I'd really like advice or confirmation before I go into the process of upgrading components and I trust the quality of these Corsair AX PSU's than I do over the quality of a low/mid-range ASUS mobo that's over 3 years old.

Edit: Also not a HDD in my case, or a motherboard/CPU/RAM, all of which were replaced.

I'm also interested to know if kyouhou managed to get this issue solved and what was causing it.

So far everything has been normal since leaving the HDDs out, at the moment I'm SSD only; those being an Intel 730 480GB and a Kingston HyperX 3k 120gb. I was using two Western Digital Black 1TB drives for storage, and removing them was the only change aside from adding the Intel SSD. Belated thank you to JonnyGuru!

Edit: I have not tested the WD Blacks since then. So it's not for certain, but leans heavily towards that being the cause.

• 1 month later...
I had that same problem a long time ago, here we thought that it was the psu and change that with a other psu with more watt , a be-quiet darkpro, here the problem was gone for a little time, but came back, so we went for a other mobo and the problem never came back. Here it was the mobo, after looking at the mobo there was nothing strange to see, but a friend took a look at it and we saw that when the bios was on default, especially the cpu voltage, the mobo worked, but if we changed the voltage of the cpu or bclk and we set voltage on Manuel( same voltage), the mobo freezes and went in to a loop, never saw the bios then, the mobo voltage regulation for the cpu was dying. This could also be your case. Do you have a friend that has a spare psu laying around, then you could try it with that psu, if the problem is the mainboard, then it will come back. Try setting the bios on default also and try again. I almost certain that your mobo is the problem if I read your story.

I have a 600w SFX coming tomorrow for my Ncase M1 build that I was going to try. The problem is that everything was fine for months after the hardware swapping. I have a feeling it will work just fine with new mobo. I'll check bios when I get home if I can get to it. My ITX board will be here sometime next week. I have a 4790k waiting for it, just no spare RAM or GPU.

I have a 600w SFX coming tomorrow for my Ncase M1 build that I was going to try. The problem is that everything was fine for months after the hardware swapping. I have a feeling it will work just fine with new mobo. I'll check bios when I get home if I can get to it. My ITX board will be here sometime next week. I have a 4790k waiting for it, just no spare RAM or GPU.

man if you solve this problem, reply me please, I have the same

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'll be honest and say I've back-burnered this since I built the new rig. So tonight I finally dove back in to it.

I tried new RAM. Nothing.

I unplugged the DVD-RW drive and tried again, to no avail.

I unplugged the GPU to the same effect.

I unplugged the cable that was powering the GPU and it seems to want to post, but since there's no display hooked up it just loops. So I output via onboard HDMI to my TV and it posts and loads UEFI just fine.

SO. I'm going to say either the cable is bad or the something on the PSU is. In either case I'm not happy. Especially since other people are having similar issues.

Edit: Ten minutes of leaving it on UEFI screen and it went back into loop. I guess I'll be RMAing? Wish I could just get a refund.

Archived