Corsair Community

HELP - Board or PSU Issue?

blanmgr

I received 2 MSI Lightning R9-290x cards for a gift to replace my single 7970 MSI Lightning card. The new R9-290x no longer uses the cable adapter to do cross over and they new use the PCIe bus for cross over. I powered up the system with the first card and the system came up. Then I added the second card, now the system just "turn off then on" for one second repeatedly. I tried a second psu and it did the same thing.

I placed the original video card in and the error continues. I pulled out all memory, video cards and disconnected all SATA drives. The error continues with the "turn on/turn off". When the system turns on for the 1 second, power is provided briefly to the external USB drives.

I checked pcpartspicker and added the power requirements. I thought the RM850 was enough to power my system. The only solution I believe is my board (ugh) but does anybody have an opinion?

My question is, is this a board and/or PSU (not enough power)?

Update: I was told on the Gigabyte (Motherboard) Forums that I must be insane to think that a RM850 can power my rig. I was told that my rig you need a minimum of (1) 600 just for one card. I needed to at least double my power requirements. Does anybody believe that comment?

• Corsair Employees

Two different PSUs and you got the same results?

And now the old graphics card doesn't work and the PC doesn't even work with nothing plugged into the motherboard?

Yikes!

Does sound like the motherboard is pooched, but I have to wonder WHY it happened. If you have the motherboard replaced, make sure you try those new cards one at a time before putting them both in. I'd hate to think that one of those cards killed your motherboard. :(:

• Corsair Employees
Update: I was told on the Gigabyte (Motherboard) Forums that I must be insane to think that a RM850 can power my rig. I was told that my rig you need a minimum of (1) 600 just for one card. I needed to at least double my power requirements. Does anybody believe that comment?

R9 290X TDP is 290W: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2460/radeon-r9-290x.html

Now, two cards doesn't necessarily mean twice the power because Crossfire doesn't really scale that way, but assume that it does, that's 580W for two cards.

i3820 is 130W TDP: http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-10M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

That's 710W. That leaves 140W for everything else.

Not much overhead. I certainly wouldn't overclock with that little overhead, but it's not going to "kill" your motherboard. For your power consumption to hit near 850W, you'd need to stress EVERYTHING out, like running Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously. You weren't even able to boot into Windows. Your power consumption with the two cards at that stage was probably only around 300W. And EVEN IF the PSU was overloaded, the PSU would just shut off. You can't even boot up with one or no graphics card anymore. That's a whole other problem than "not enough power".

So while you might want to consider a bigger PSU...Maybe a 1000W... it's not the cause of your problems.

• Corsair Employees

If it didn't support it, it just wouldn't work. It wouldn't kill the motherboard if it didn't support it.

I mean:

I tried a second psu and it did the same thing.

I placed the original video card in and the error continues. I pulled out all memory, video cards and disconnected all SATA drives. The error continues with the "turn on/turn off".

That sounds like a dead board to me. Am I wrong?

The only reason why I made the comment about the board because it worked with the MSI Lightning 7970 for a year, then I added (1) MSI new R9-290x Lightning card and it worked. I shutdown and added that second new R9-290x Lightning card and immediately started the power on and off (the bios splash didn't come up). I pulled the old PSU 850w PSU and installed a new out of the box RM850 and continued to do the same thing. The only thing I can relate is having both card trying to communicate "on startup".

I will have to order a new board but this comes back to this question, does this board even support the "new" cross over technique on the PCIe bus?

Archived