Corsair Community

760 i issues

josedan03

Hello,

my psu 760i turning off by himselfe on system startup and turn on and off in a Loop, once the psu managed into in Windows he works normal in all load situations...

any idea for reasons, is it broken?

Thanks

Daniel

my rig: Asus Sabertooth Mark1/ 4790k/ 2xGainward 970 Phantom/16 GB Dominator Platinum / 8.1 64

• Corsair Employees

I'm not sure I fully understand.

You press the power button on the front of the case and the PC turns on and then off again and then on again before booting into Windows?

Are you flipping the switch on the back of the PSU off at all or are you turning the PC off/on from a power strip before pressing the power button on the front of the case?

I'm not sure I fully understand.

You press the power button on the front of the case and the PC turns on and then off again and then on again before booting into Windows?

Are you flipping the switch on the back of the PSU off at all or are you turning the PC off/on from a power strip before pressing the power button on the front of the case?

Just press the power butten on the case, the back psu Switch is always on ..

Sometimes the psu turns off before booting into Windows (on post Screen) but sometimes direct after booting into Windows ....

Thanks

Daniel

• Corsair Employees

Well... if it was just the BIOS, I can see the problem with the PC rebooting right after the BIOS screen. But you said that you can actually get right to where it boots into Windows and then it reboots. That's bad.

Does it do this all the time? Does the PC never boot into Windows? Can you try booting into Safe Mode?

pc boots into Windows after circa three times of restarting psu on itself... but the third reboot can happen in Windows after start up ...

will try later on but I supect an error on the psu, ram, connection, everything is fine and once Windows is loaded th pc works proper ? ....

• Corsair Employees

Then I wouldn't think it's PSU or RAM if it works fine after it's up and running. Certainly not the two together since the RAM isn't getting power directly from the PSU. The PSU supplies power to VRMs on the motherboard that regulate the votages to what the memory needs, but that voltage should be fairly stable during boot up.

I would think motherboard if it was only doing the reboot thing after the BIOS screen, but since it does it after Windows starts loading, I'd think there's a driver or something loading at startup that's causing the PC to reboot.

Try running MSCONFIG, go to STARTUP and uncheck boxes until you get to the point where the PC boots into Windows every time.

• Corsair Employees

Any time the PSU goes from load to no-load, the PSU is going to use a relay to switch the load off the main transformer and over to the +5VSB circuit. Most modern PSUs do this as a way to get better efficiency, even at low loads. In 2013, this actually became a requirement in the EU.

It's perfectly normal.

• Corsair Employees

Yeah. Dropbox normally works for me. But if I tried to play the video, it said it was unable and when I tried to download it, it hung.

Anyways.. your problem's not the same. His is actually making it either past the BIOS screen or almost into Windows and it restarts.

Yours looks like the PSU is detecting a short and latching into protection mode. A whole other issue that requires a lot different troubleshooting. I'd start a new thread.

Then I wouldn't think it's PSU or RAM if it works fine after it's up and running. Certainly not the two together since the RAM isn't getting power directly from the PSU. The PSU supplies power to VRMs on the motherboard that regulate the votages to what the memory needs, but that voltage should be fairly stable during boot up.

I would think motherboard if it was only doing the reboot thing after the BIOS screen, but since it does it after Windows starts loading, I'd think there's a driver or something loading at startup that's causing the PC to reboot.

Try running MSCONFIG, go to STARTUP and uncheck boxes until you get to the point where the PC boots into Windows every time.

Could you please explain with other words what do you suggest to do by :

"go to STARTUP and uncheck boxes until you get to the point where the PC boots into Windows every time"

Thans a lot

Daniel

I can see the Video it is similar to my problem but the shut off is directly by switching to On and the frequence of switching from On to Off at psu seems to be higher in the video not sure ...

is it also, that once your system is into Windows everything works proper ?

BR

Daniel

Today I loaded the latest bios update 2110 to the asus board but I assume wihaut any effect to the PSU behaviour but still testing ... but sice three system starts PSU run withaut bugs :) ....

ps

Another observation is that the self test function on the psu does not show any green light on pushing the test button as advised in manual, could this be in relation to my issues?

Daniel

• Corsair Employees

ps

Another observation is that the self test function on the psu does not show any green light on pushing the test button as advised in manual, could this be in relation to my issues?

Daniel

Self test only works if the cables aren't attached to the PSU.

Latest results:

Different PSU fitted, problem solved!

Until the following selftest of the restored 760i psu the surprise:

In face of the green led still during the puhsed butten, the psu Relais is shutting down (klack) the psu => crazy thing !!?? (This is exact my origin issue as discibed here and from many others)

Still any questions ?

BR

Daniel

Archived